Discuss Horizontal flue terminals deteriated in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

buffalo

About 7 years ago, I built a small block of 4 flats and installed Sime Format 100C combi boilers in each. On a recent annual Gas Safety check the engineer pointed out that I would soon need to replace the plastic flue terminals that protrude out from the exterior wall because they had become brittle and falling to bits.
Can I obtain these on their own or will I have to purchase 4 No. flue kits just to get hold of the terminals which is what I've been told by a supplier?
Will any brand of terminal be suitable providing the flue diameter is the same?

Thanks in anticipation.....Bill

you In answer to that NO, have to use manufacturers specified flues, but having said that manufacturers of boilers tend to use the same flue providers in many cases.

only query is if you are purchasing new flues are you trying to fit them? Why dont you just let the qualified techie supply and fit and all will be well.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's nothing wrong with the flues, it's only the terminals that need replacing.
I've engaged the same Sime engineer for years to look after these boilers and he always provides a great service, albeit he lives 120 miles away. Quite often I've obtained parts and he charges just for time and travelling expenses but on this occasion, both he and a supplier think I may have to obtain complete flue kits just to get the terminals but was hoping these may be available separately.
If they can, the engineer can replace them on his next visit........Bill

120 miles and you pay his time and travel! cheaper to replace boilers and use local engineer!

Call the manufacturer to find out if it is available as a separate part. Chances are you will need a whole new flue.

ive never known a manufacturer sell part of a standard flue before, and i cant see why the demand would be there to warrant such a need. If they did sell the terminal part it would probably be the same price as the standard flue and take longer to change if its rivited together etc....

so best to just buy the flue and change it.

I rang Sime and the terminals can be purchased separately at ÂŁ21.00 each as opposed to ÂŁ70.00 for complete kits and are fixed onto the flue by two screws.
These terminals are made of plastic and when you think of the exposure to the varying temperatures they receive over the years then it's no wonder they become brittle and need replacing........no different to a terminal at the top of a S.V.Pipe.

Thanks for the replies.

Closing this thread as you clearly have not heeded good advice and the vibe I'm getting is that you're about to murder your tenants.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Horizontal flue terminals deteriated in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

My installation has been classed as Dangerous 'Do not use' by my boiler manufacturer. I have an Ideal Logic 30kw Combi boiler mounted as high as...
Replies
Views
Good afternoon, I was hoping someone could advise regarding the regulations around flue terminations through a 'fake' window. We have a...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have just noticed a damp patch around where my boiler flue exits through to outside wall along with a rusty colour around the collar of the...
Replies
Views
Hello new to the forum so will say thank you in advance to all and any assistance you can provide. background: current boiler installed in...
Replies
Views
Morning all, a new customer has approached me asking for a balanced flue fire as there current fireplace has had the chimney removed. The only...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock