Search the forum,

Discuss Hierachy in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

plumba66

Just playing devils advocate here, but where do you think we come in the hierarchy of building trades

Seriously though I do now think that we are above all trades in technical ability, skill, & also we have to go on more courses than any other trade, carry more tools, etc etc etc so our wages should reflect this

Seriously though I do now think that we are above all trades in technical ability, skill, & also we have to go on more courses than any other trade, carry more tools, etc etc etc so our wages should reflect this

Mine do!:wink_smile:

Did a job few years back and two of us spent 10hours drilling through joists for all pipe work , rang sparky gave him the scarbough warning not to use em.

came in Monday they'd only worked Saturday and used 90% so I phones him up you've got an hour mate before the cutters come out he just laughed and hung up.

wasnt laughing when he called in after noon to see piles of cable everyone in fact he was rather irate why didn't you cut and pull it's going to cost me loads in new cables

tuff you were warned

Did a job few years back and two of us spent 10hours drilling through joists for all pipe work , rang sparky gave him the scarbough warning not to use em.

came in Monday they'd only worked Saturday and used 90% so I phones him up you've got an hour mate before the cutters come out he just laughed and hung up.

wasnt laughing when he called in after noon to see piles of cable everyone in fact he was rather irate why didn't you cut and pull it's going to cost me loads in new cables

tuff you were warned

been there an done that, they always laugh till they see the bits of cable on the floor, ponces!

Obviously I know he is a disillusioned northerner, but you have to humour these people bud, if we were to take that notion away from them they are left with nothing,

God's own county my hairy hole.....

Anyone in their right mind knows God's a londoner. ..

Bravely tries to put things straight on the forum............

An American photographer on vacation was inside a church in Oldham taking photographs when he noticed a golden telephone mounted on the wall with a sign that read 'ÂŁ10,000 per call'.

The American, being intrigued, asked a priest who was strolling by what the telephone was used for. The priest replied that it was a direct line to heaven and that for ÂŁ10,000 you could talk to God. The American thanked the priest and went along his way.

Next stop was in Manchester... There, at a very large cathedral, he saw the same golden telephone with the same sign under it. He wondered if this was the same kind of telephone he saw in Oldham and he asked a nearby nun what its purpose was. She told him that it was a direct line to heaven and that for ÂŁ10,000 he could talk to God.

'O.K., thank you,' said the American.

He then travelled to Blackburn, Darwen, Burnley, Rochdale and Littleborough. In every church he saw the same golden telephone with the same 'ÂŁ10,000 per call' sign under it. The American, upon leaving Lancashire decided to travel to Yorkshire to see if Yorkshiremen had the same phone.

He arrived in Halifax, and again, in the first church he entered, there was the same golden telephone, but this time the sign under it read '50 pence per call.'

The American was surprised so he asked the priest about the sign. 'Father, I've travelled all over Lancashire and I've seen this same golden telephone in many churches. I'm told that it is a direct line to heaven, but in Lancashire the price was ÂŁ10,000 per call. Why is it so cheap here?'

The priest smiled and answered, 'You're in Yorkshire now, son. It's a local call.'

I would say all are rated just the same ?
In some peoples mind that is pond life .
The building trade always has a bad name and always will do for some reason it is not seen as a skilled job by any means .
As to who can make the builder the most money my bet would be between a decent excavator driver and then on to stone masons who really know their stuff .
Too many of the trades these days turn up on site thinking they are Primadonna`s and try their hardest to cause problems to other trades ? It seems to me gone are the days they all got on and sorted stuff between them with the bricky thinking ahead and saying so where do you want that opening for those pipes coming through from the boiler romm exactly I will put a lintel in for you ?
Or the chippy running the sparks cables in to a block for a large ceiling rose ?
A little cooperation pays dividends and makes for a happy site .

Bravely tries to put things straight on the forum............

An American photographer on vacation was inside a church in Oldham taking photographs when he noticed a golden telephone mounted on the wall with a sign that read 'ÂŁ10,000 per call'.

The American, being intrigued, asked a priest who was strolling by what the telephone was used for. The priest replied that it was a direct line to heaven and that for ÂŁ10,000 you could talk to God. The American thanked the priest and went along his way.

Next stop was in Manchester... There, at a very large cathedral, he saw the same golden telephone with the same sign under it. He wondered if this was the same kind of telephone he saw in Oldham and he asked a nearby nun what its purpose was. She told him that it was a direct line to heaven and that for ÂŁ10,000 he could talk to God.

'O.K., thank you,' said the American.

He then travelled to Blackburn, Darwen, Burnley, Rochdale and Littleborough. In every church he saw the same golden telephone with the same 'ÂŁ10,000 per call' sign under it. The American, upon leaving Lancashire decided to travel to Yorkshire to see if Yorkshiremen had the same phone.

He arrived in Halifax, and again, in the first church he entered, there was the same golden telephone, but this time the sign under it read '50 pence per call.'

The American was surprised so he asked the priest about the sign. 'Father, I've travelled all over Lancashire and I've seen this same golden telephone in many churches. I'm told that it is a direct line to heaven, but in Lancashire the price was ÂŁ10,000 per call. Why is it so cheap here?'

The priest smiled and answered, 'You're in Yorkshire now, son. It's a local call.'

From Winchester cathedral its a free-phone number.

you all forget God has a Secretary, so she'll never put anyone through unless they are from Devon :)

Forgot to say the sparks that say no do not worry about my cables just board the whole ceiling over it will be easier for the plasterers we have marked our plans for all the downlighters now that is how it should be ?

Gods country = Yorkshire.

The truth will set you free. Breathe and accept.

There are many imitations, but only one YORKSHIRE :)

Gods country = Yorkshire.

The truth will set you free. Breathe and accept.

There are many imitations, but only one YORKSHIRE :)

This is Yorkshire's finest. Do you really want to imitate that???

article-1295547-06A844DF000005DC-102_306x424.jpg

From other trades I talk to us plumbers are on a lower wage/day rate by a fair amount. That includes plasterers and tilers.

From other trades I talk to us plumbers are on a lower wage/day rate by a fair amount. That includes plasterers and tilers.

According to this survey

Sparkies (sob) ÂŁ29,501
Plumbers ÂŁ28,282
Brickie ÂŁ24,149
Tiler ÂŁ23,754
Chippy ÂŁ23,659
Painter/dec ÂŁ23,435
Roofer ÂŁ22,420
Plasterers ÂŁ21,116
Window fitts ÂŁ20,782

A lot depends on who you are in the trades I always used a joiner to make all my stuff from rooves to kitcen cabinets ,stairs .windows etc . Not a factory made item on site he also came and fitted so his kit made the other trades look like part timers ?
They also have workshops to run too but I guess the average site uses ready made crap and chippys to fix ?
My guess would be it used to be the plumbers near the top for earnings but then again they also seemed to work the fewest hours well not as little as the plasterers !
The names these days seem to be more important than the work as now a chippy is a joiner but ask him to make a box sash or set out a staircase ?
My old joiner built one for me 57 k for the stairs all in his head now that is what I call a tradesmen .

Of all the trades, I reckon plastering, chippying and roofing are the hardest. Try as I might, all my efforts at the first two look like a child of 6 had a temper tantrum, and I am scared of heights.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Hierachy in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Show us your fanciest radiators you've installed! We would love to see them! I love this Milano vertical radiator in the kitchen space. What do you think?
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about this one. Granddaughter just moved house and this valve decided to leak when it was closed. When open its fine. Normally I have repacked the gland on...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock