Search the forum,

Discuss Help with replacement Glow Worm boiler options please in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

I am looking for some basic advice please
My house is on two floors, approx 240m2 and a spacious loft with good headroom and access. Glow Worm 30HXi boiler burning LPG
housed in a ground floor attached storage room running 16 radiators including 6 doubles and a standard low output shower on the first floor. The 2006 boiler works fine but is overdue for replacement. There are currently two 1970 bathrooms, pink for her and blue for him next to each
other on the first floor with an airing cupboard nestled in between, housing a small 1050 x 400 hot water tank. The plan is to create one big luxury bathroom with a high output shower and quite possibly an airing cupboard. There is a big cold water tank mounted in an elevated position in the loft.
My idea was to install a new combi-boiler in the loft, doing away with both hot and cold water tanks but the plumbers who came to advise were of the opinion that because of the property size, shower requirement, etc a combi boiler was not a good idea. They recommend a standard worcester boiler which could be fitted in the loft. A hot water tank would also be required, as well as an auxiliary pump Which I think is needed for the shower and hot water supply. We talked about the hot water tank being in the loft but as the new bathroom would be 5 x 3 metres, it would seem more sensible to accomodate the tank there in a builtin airing cupboard.

Is re-siting the boiler into the loft a good idea?
Is a standard boiler, hot water tank and additional hot water pump the best way to go?
Thank you

Do you have the requisite mains water pressure and flow rate for a large combi or unvented cylinder, if not a pumped vented cylinder maybe the way to go.
Get more than quotes and therefore opinions.

A bad idea putting the boiler in the loft in my opinion, why put a boiler In the coldest part of your home in the winter and hottest in summer you don't know what it's doing up there , a engineer will need a to access the boiler and many won't even go in a loft for insurance reasons a Viessman 111 or 222 may be a option.

Attachments

• IMG_20211102_133129474_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20211102_133129474_HDR.jpg
    375.6 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20211103_170326006_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20211103_170326006_HDR.jpg
    372.7 KB · Views: 7
  • PXL_20210319_130222802.jpg
    PXL_20210319_130222802.jpg
    298.7 KB · Views: 7
  • PXL_20210318_192414405.jpg
    PXL_20210318_192414405.jpg
    373.1 KB · Views: 8
Do you have the requisite mains water pressure and flow rate for a large combi or unvented cylinder, if not a pumped vented cylinder maybe the way to go.
Get more than quotes and therefore opinions.
Thank you for your reply.
Water pressure is an issue because in order to protect an old and failing alkathene service pipe that runs over 80 metres outside of my boundary to the main, a pressure reducing valve has been fitted and throttles what was about 7 bar of pressure back to 3 bar. There is a plan to reroute and replace the service pipe with MDPE but boiler installation would precede that. I also planned to refit the reducing valve to the new pipe but maybe that is not a good idea?
Your suggestion of other quotes is good. This firm came to quote for radiator and kitchen plumbing work for a new kitchen in a totally new room. We got carried away with the boiler plan and proposed new bathroom.
These guys also press fit copper where possible, rather than soldering; I am so out of touch.

Last edited:

Reply to Help with replacement Glow Worm boiler options please in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock