Search the forum,

Discuss Has anybody else done this course in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

locksmith

Hello
As you can see from my screen name I am a locksmith but have signed up to do nvq l3 plumbing and gas through trade gateway. Has anybody else had any dealings with them ?
I called them with regards to doing there short course "maintain your own plumbing" but there sales man came round, told me what a great guy I am and now I ha ve signed up for £150 a month for the above mentioned course. Think I have been had here.. I do not believe that in a couple of years I could be gas safe with only haven done at home learning and 10 weeks at the college.....Is this correct

Thanks. Next time ill stick to safes

You may not have been had but there are better ways of doing it. As Ermi says is there not a local college that could help you out? May be over the same time period but you'll be more likely to get a lot more support and actual coaching as they're not just about your money

I honestly don't see how home study and a short stint at college can give you the confidence and practical skills you need to do this for a living.

Turn the question around - if a plumber signed up for an identical locksmithing course, what would your advice be to him/her?

well thank you for some of the kind words. Did look into my local collage but they only offered full time. Not ageist, but really do not want to be stuck with a load of teenage boys. Girls would have been okay.

What didn't you like about your trade? I'm not going into it but always curious what other people put up with to earn a crust.

I do still enjoy locksmithing. I only looked into the smaller course to work on my own home but got talked into the bigger course. My own fault.....

Im doing City and Guilds level 2-3 ... i didn't think you could do NVQs until yourve got a C&G and working in the field as NVQ is work based/site based ... I think a salesman coming round says it all.

maybe try able skills (Dartford) they do part time weekend courses and you pay in instalments.... and level 3 you can get a grant from the government if your over 24.

Also im 39 and I'm the youngest on the Course

i thought about doing a locksmith course. i used to be able to pick padlocks when i was a kid (rough around here u know), fancy the idea of some one calling me as they have locked themselves out, turn up chuck brick through window or smash door lock off and charge them £120 for 10 mins work and another £90 fitting a new lock :)
also after some lock picks, any you could recomend on a budget untill i make a few bob? thanks.
serious, you can test my knowledge limited to certain locks and doors though!.
any 2 week courses around?

Last edited by a moderator:
£120 seems a bit expensive for a brick... As for picks. Most new locks would take forever to pick. Most have anti-pick plates. You would be better off drilling mortise and night latchs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Has anybody else done this course in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock