Search the forum,

Discuss Grundfos pump oscillating in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

finchy01

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Morning chaps,

I've been sent to look at a job. Sealed system with a big twin head self modulating grundfos pump. The pump is constantly modulating up and down, up and down and the pressure is up and down in time with the modulating. I e not worked on this type of pump before (I've been living under a rock for the last couple of years!) And just wondered if you can give me some tips on what to check?

Many thanks as always.

Hi oz. Thanks for replying. It does have a bypass. A manual one which was shut when I arrived on site but opening that does nothing. It's still pulsing. I've check the pump valve too and they are fully open -1/4 turn obviously. It's a grundfos alpha to not a twin head as I was told!

How close to the pump is the by-pass?

The pump could be over compensating itself if the by-pass valve is too close to the pump.
It could also be the same situation with the by-pass closed and the pump pushing water through the TRV's.
The pump may be oversized for the job and is trying to constantly rectify itself to suit demands.

Thanks again oz. The bypass is very close to the pump so I'm liking your theory. It's a 3 floor office bock so I doubt the pump is oversized however I didn't get a chance to have a proper look around as I was being hounded to move onto the next job and arrange a time to go back when we have more time. I will double check the distances. I'm guessing the dial on the front of the pump is similar to the old 3 speeds on 15/50. Surely switching this down would compensate for the pump trying to work top hard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Grundfos pump oscillating in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock