Search the forum,

Discuss glow worm micron 50ff in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

buckley plumb

i feel as if glow worm boilers are haunting me with problems at the moment. went to a 50ff micron today locking out on ignition - tested aps all ok - boiler fan would run then gas valve would open no spark so i thought pcb and still do i think. demend on boiler fan run and operated aps - no spark just gas valve and gas several attempts before locking out - now for the puzzling part if when the gas valve opened i light the burner with ny blowlamp the ignitor would start sparking for 6 times and the boiler would be fine - it could then be turned on and off and it would work as normal igniting itself -but leave it for 20mins then the same again -fan and gas no spark . anyone come accross this . i phoned glow worm but they had no answer just said replace board but at £150 i want to be sure .

thanks ant

ignition and detection electrode in one electrode check for continuity on electrode and lead,if you dont get it theres your fault if you do its likely to be pcb

Microns had serious problems with hot spots on the PCB

thanks . i checked the ignition lead from probe to board and got continuity so ordering board up for friday.

thanks again ant

I had a similar problem recently. I fitted new board costing £150 and all seemed fine for a few weeks,then customer said the same problem came back. I fitted new electrode £5. and it has been fine since. Made me think it probably wasn't the board in the first place.I would fit an electrode first and see if it cures the problem,

fitted probe and lead today no joy so waiting for pcb on fri
ant

yes checked but thought it may be breaking down on load . changed board today. pump run and then fan then ignition and gas and burner lit.tested for half hour and all ok - just got a phone call to say boiler failed .customer said after reseting, the pump and fan would start and the boiler would light - burner light on then after 1-2 mins the boiler would go to lock out and for a short while the reset and burner light would flash the burner light flashing quicker- according to the manual a thermister fault glow worm did mention this could happen.looks like i now need to fit a thermistor -i hate glow worms -the only thing that worries me is that the pcb board in a sealed box mentions an additional capacitor that goes accros the sw live and neutral -this was not in the box -is this just to stop the boiler firing with no demand.

a very stressed ant

why would glow worm suggest a thermistor fault may occur and why should it just by replacing the board

ant

they are saying that the existing ntc may not be compatible with the new pcb,microns are sheds you have my sympathetic outlook on this boiler its a mare

thanks will let you know how i get on if i can get a thermistor tomorrow

ant

hi thermister fitted and boiler seems ok now - out of intrest i phoned glow worm to ask why the thermister would not be working on the new board when it did on the old one as at the end of the day its only a heat sensative resistor -they just said this has happened to a lot of their engineers but not everytime so they now send their engineers with pcb and thermistor .well thanks for the help

ant

yes checked but thought it may be breaking down on load . changed board today. pump run and then fan then ignition and gas and burner lit.tested for half hour and all ok - just got a phone call to say boiler failed .customer said after reseting, the pump and fan would start and the boiler would light - burner light on then after 1-2 mins the boiler would go to lock out and for a short while the reset and burner light would flash the burner light flashing quicker- according to the manual a thermister fault glow worm did mention this could happen.looks like i now need to fit a thermistor -i hate glow worms -the only thing that worries me is that the pcb board in a sealed box mentions an additional capacitor that goes accros the sw live and neutral -this was not in the box -is this just to stop the boiler firing with no demand.

a very stressed ant

just got in from one, boiler firing then going out after 2 mins. replaced probe checked lead and still no better!!.

dumped off..call eon for fixed charge luv ;)

My neighbour asked me last week to look at boiler..... Didn't want to....... Went tonight. Just needed resetting as rectification lead was loose! Ahhhhhhh

capacitor was for the second type of pcb which would cause the boiler fire from the back feed voltage from a 3port.
Glowworm tell engineers that the ntc can cause the pcb to fail.
Always check the outer shell of the ntc to the wires for any continuity. Should have none. If any, the ntc needs to be replaced with the pcb.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to glow worm micron 50ff in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock