Discuss Gas work notification in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Andy Dignall

I've been out of the game for a couple of years after having surgery on my knees and am thinking of going back on the tools.

Is there still a legal requirement to register an installed appliance with corgi/gas safe for local building control and if so how many people actually use it. After speaking to fitters in my local area they seem to shun it of late since Capita gave the details of the installed appliance details to the inland revenue and most received fines for tax evasion

Last edited by a moderator:
Without knowing what was wrong nobody can help you. If Gas safe dont think its bad enough to do anything I dont see what we can do without knowing the facts.

Again, thanks for your interest and yes, I am/will be in the process of doing all that but why does the Gas Safe Register not have any responsibility? Why have they not said to me 'send your evidence and we'll suspend the guy pending full investigation' but all they will say is 'we have no legal authority' to quote Helen Haigh in an email she sent me 'we have not been given any authority' . If a gas safe engineer fails or breaks the law he should immediately be removed from the gas safe register (pending full investigation) and that should be the responsibility of your registration body, and NOT the householder!

gas safe is a register run by a private firm for the hse ,gas safe inspectors will come out if work is dodgy so thats the first thing you should have dont secondly you wont get anywere in a court cos ive been there done that with a customer that owed me money and anything under £5000 forget it they can award you want you want, he doesnt pay you anything for 4 weeks you go back to court with more expense to you; same again you get awarded again nothing happens cos he just doesnt pay again and so the circle goes on and on till youve paid out thousands and you relise your paying for nothing cos its less than £5000 at the start plus the certificate you get is only for building regs so you dont have to pay £300 ,nothing to do with gas safe there just the middle man basically its up to you to pick the installer and make sure he,s good by checking previous work or by recomendation from people you no, that say he,s done a good job al be suprised if you get anywere mate cos there proberly hundreds of people like you going off some of the work ive seen and people on here has spoke about

Once you understand the risks involved with hot and cold water systems it makes sense that plumbers should be registered as well as gas engineers. Do you know how to support a cold water storage system correctly? It may not seem a lot but last year there were a couple of deaths due to failed thermostats and incorrectly supported cold water storage cisterns. Do you know how to prevent the growth of legionella bacteria? Incorrect plumbing can help it to grow.

It's a shame that the government hasn't got the balls to legislate for a safer plumbing industry.
how could it be done? gas is difficult enough, complaints here of people not paying tax or doing work unregistered, this would cause a nightmare

gas safe corgi hse and tax man is only out to make cash, fair enuff i agree with the safety side of it. if gas safe wasnt out to make money why do we pay 500 quid for 1st registry the pay every year to them plus for every reg appliacne should be 1 or the other not both ! as for the tax man if am passing 100 % of your normal work and paying your way, why shouldnt you be able to keep 0.2% of your forinors in your pocket? by the time you pay over heads tax price met the last fella got the stock done the job your lucky to meet the min wage for the day.

gas safe corgi hse and tax man is only out to make cash, fair enuff i agree with the safety side of it. if gas safe wasnt out to make money why do we pay 500 quid for 1st registry the pay every year to them plus for every reg appliacne should be 1 or the other not both ! as for the tax man if am passing 100 % of your normal work and paying your way, why shouldnt you be able to keep 0.2% of your forinors in your pocket? by the time you pay over heads tax price met the last fella got the stock done the job your lucky to meet the min wage for the day.

gas safe are required by HSE law, not something that gets through parliament with the sole intention of being a business is it?

why should you keep money from your own jobs when others pay tax? if you run it as a business you should pay tax. if you cannot make it pay you cannot do the work but not pay the tax, every business in the country would be claiming the same

if you or others take issue with registering gas then surely also registering plumbing would make it worse?

Gas Fitness Certificate_CombiBoiler_page1.jpgGas Fitness Certificate_CombiBoiler_page2.jpg

Somebody posted that there was no such thing as a Gas Safety Certificate? These two attachments (I'm no computer geek so they are probably not perfectly presented) were issued by CORGI (Gas Safe Register replaced CORGI) in 2006 (I have removed identification details for obvious reasons). The covering letter states quite clearly that it is a 'Certificate of Gas Safety' and the certificate itself (towards the bottom) contains the proviso that 'some aspects of gas work might need Local Authority Building Control approval'. This indicates to me that the primary role of the system is to ensure Gas Safety with Building Control Regulations taking very much a second place. This is why it p*sses me right off that the Gas Safe Register is trying to abrogate its reponsibility for ensuring the people they take money off to allow them to do gas installation work are held to account BY THEM when they don't do the job properly.

Has the system changed since 2006 and Building Control now has primacy? Does anybody have a certificate issued by Gas Safe Register which we can compare with these old ones?

Gas safe was introduced in 2009 corgi before that

If your not going to tell us what the problem is with your installation That's got you all upset then we can't comment except sounds like you would be a nightmare to do any job for

hanks for the insight as to what a gas safety certificate looks like. I have never seen one but then again i am north of the border where we don't need to spend four quid or whatever it is nowadays (i'm not really interested) because it is not a requirement here.

Since your cert dates from 2006 can we assume (since you are not telling us) your boiler has been in for 5 years and some problem has now come to light that you are taking a severe umbrage to. Has this come to light after a service? Everyone makes their own interpretation of gas regs depending on their experience or engineering judgement as it is called, so don't take that to heart. It may have been over classified. Whatever it is cannot be a gas safety issue or gas safe and HSE would/may be interested.
Gas safe and corgi before them are only concerned about actual gas safety issues. The system could be thrown out the back of the van and the system piped totally wrong and irt would not bother them as long as the gas pipe, burner operation and flue ing were fine.
Instead of dwelling on this it may be better and cheaper just to move on.
The system is as it is and you won't change it no matter how loud you shout.
Happy new year from Scotland btw........Slange

well i have has dealings with corgi inspectors twice both times it was the customers who were wrong bitter and twisted and tried to screw me over because they were to tight to pay for quality in the first place and thought they could mug me off. Regarding reporting engineers to the GSR from experience dealing with Corgi it was a nightmare and a waste of time

The certificate is borrowed from my neWighbour who had a new boiler installed in 2006 (by a different installer, I might add). I would have liked to have been able to post a copy of my Gas Safe Register Gas Safety Certificate for the BRAND NEW boiler I had installed last year, at a cost of GBP1805.00p NOT including the cost of the boiler. And I am NOT trying to screw anybody over, all I want is a Gas Safety Certificate, so if the guy who installed it turns up tomorrow and the end result is that I get my Gas Safety Certificate then that is the matter closed. If he continues to refuse to turn up (AND the Gas Safe Register continue to say they have no authority to compel registered members to do their job properly) then I will pursue him through the civil courts and do all that I can get my Barrister to do to get him removed from the Gas Safe Register. The choice is entirely his, and he knows it.

For those of you who seem to believe that knowing what the problem is is the nub of the matter for you to be able to comment on the probity of the Gas Safe Register then I'm sorry but I don't know what the problem is (because I am not a Gas Safe Registered Gas Engineer) all I know is that I can't get a Gas Safety Certificate issued, nothing else matters.

I come from a long line of people who unashamedly do what they say they will do and expect others to treat them the same way, especially when all that was needed was for somebody to do the job they were paid to do (and provided with meals and drinks while they were doing the job!) and after being paid a fair amount for 3 days of work - if you consider that approach to be bad attitude or an attempt to screw you over then I suggest that it is you who has the serious problem, not me!

My closing comment on this matter is that I will, eventually, get a Gas Safety Certificate with or without the support of the ineffective Gas Safe Register

What do you mean where I hail from???????????
Is that all your problem is you didn't get a gas safe certificate????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Gas work notification in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock