Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Gas fire with no ignitor in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

westyvip

Fitted new boiler in a property recently and when visually inspecting other appliances discovered gas fire has no ignitor, literally just an on-off know, like a cooker and customer throwing a match on to light fire. Is this legal/allowed as first fire i'd come across like this! thanks

It probably has a pilot light which has been switched off if it is not getting used much. Old but perfectly legal like many other things.

funnily enough tamz, i came across one of these two weeks ago. No pilot. Just a hidden gas cock behind the Video shelf to switch gas on/off.
Had to light it with a long match. Bizarre

A couple of things you need to look out for on old fires is that it has ffd/osd. Signs of spilling etc.
As for ignition a match is ok.

A couple of things you need to look out for on old fires is that it has ffd/osd. Signs of spilling etc.
As for ignition a match is ok.

what do you mean we need to look out for ffd/osd on old fires? there are 1000's without a safety device and still allowed to be used as it is part of their original design,

what do you mean we need to look out for ffd/osd on old fires? there are 1000's without a safety device and still allowed to be used as it is part of their original design,

Worked on loads without a fsd

Kirkgas, there was no mention of we. I was making a point as to the original post. It is the first fire he has come across with out ignition, and I was pointing out to look for more dangerous things. This fire he mentions could have been in a bedroom, who knows.
I would be more concerned for signs of spilling, not ignition. That is what I was trying to get across.
Have a nice day!

seen a cooker with a permanent pilot and no thermocouple on the hob, it was ok just very old.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kirkgas, there was no mention of we. I was making a point as to the original post. It is the first fire he has come across with out ignition, and I was pointing out to look for more dangerous things. This fire he mentions could have been in a bedroom, who knows.
I would be more concerned for signs of spilling, not ignition. That is what I was trying to get across.
Have a nice day!

sorry my man, wasnt having a dig at all, i was trying to get my head round what you were trying to tell the OP,
PS i always try to have a nice day,

Have a nice day!

sorry my man, wasnt having a dig at all, i was trying to get my head round what you were trying to tell the OP, i kinda knew you might have been pointing him in the direction of bedroom fires but as you didnt mention bedrooms to him he might be confused, and i didnt want to confuse him even more by putting my interpretation of your comment on it, better to come from you,
PS i always try to have a nice day,

I beleive the fire is about 15 years old. It was just like a cooker knob then lit with a match. Just the first iv come across, seems really basic technology!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Gas fire with no ignitor in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi everyone, My customer has a gas fire (Gazco Logic HE fire, about 10 years old). It's a slide control fire. The fire has become difficult to...
Replies
Views
Am I the only one struggling to find appliances' manuals online? I know it's hard enough with cookers and old gas fires but I've just been unable...
Replies
Views
Replacing a remote gas control valve with its manual equivalent. My daughter has a gas coal effect fire. First, I know they're crap, she'll just...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can I pick your brains? My boiler is often reluctant to start, sometimes it does, sometimes it seems that it will if the demand is from the...
Replies
Views
    • Informative
Why am I not surprised? Britain’s gas network still using engines from 1960s RAF fighter jets Ageing aircraft turbines will cost millions to...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock