Discuss Gas and Plumbing Engineer in Birmingham area? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually work for a tile distribution centre so I know tiling isn't the root I wanna go down. How can this industry be such a bad one to get involved with considering gas men and plumbers will always be needed. The hardest part about starting a new career is the opportunity to show your worth first.

Lame plumber and armyash are both late starters and both doing ok however the majority fail thats what you need to consider

I went down the gas route and not the plumbing, via one of the commercial colleges. I did it like that as I could earn decent money straight away, I needed to, mortgages, car loans etc dont pay themselves. Id love to have an NVQ 2 in plumbing to supplement my Gas qualifications however, to the point of considering enrolling in college now to do it in retrospect. I think if you have the money and can afford it from a lifestyle/commitments point of view you should look at the plumbing first. I didnt and I do kind of regret it, Im doing well at the Gas though so it can be done if thats what your mind is set on.

Good luck to you mate I really hope you have success, whatever you end up doing, maybe plumbing IS for you, but there are a lot of plumbers out there who really dislike thier job and would do anything to get out of it, at least if you spend a fortune and fail, you have been warned that it is really tough out there.

i'm a late starter at 36 now 41. what i would say is if you dont come from a mechanical or fault finding background your not gonna find it easy at all. i was a maintenance engineer in a foundry so a lot of my skills i could relate to plumbing and heating. also the fast track course will teach you how to work on gas safely not how how to repair or install or run pipes here or there. i also had to set up on my own they will all see you as competition Luckily it worked for me out of the 12 twelve that did the course over half never did their ACS kerching for the training centre
in all honesty i think you will struggle

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a little update. Just recently I have decided to go on an NVQ level 2 in plumbing and heating and if all goes well I will pay for the gas qualifications at a later date. I have been advised that plumbing and heating would be more beneficial to gain employment than a quick fix course. It's not with a quick pass company company its with a college. I have a pal who works for the local council who is gonna take me on jobs to help build up my experience. I have recently installed a bathroom suite but only in my own home so it all helps. If any local chaps have any work available I am more than willing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Gas and Plumbing Engineer in Birmingham area? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I'm looking for a gas engineer who I can work with so I can complete my portfolio. I have done level 2 and 3 tech cert along with bpec gas...
Replies
Views
My name is Chanel i’m 19 years old i’ve just finished my level 2 plumbing course and i’m looking for an apprenticeship or someone who could take...
Replies
Views
A
Hi guys I finished my gas course in September can anyone help me i need to do 2 install and services. Am living i ln leeds west yorkshire I do...
Replies
Views
Ahmad marian
A
Hi there, I'm sniffing around what to expect of getting a job in plumbing. My job makes me redundant at the end of September. The whole warehouse...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone I currently work in oil and gas industry working in North Sea and further afield operating on high pressure oil and gas plants. This...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock