Discuss Gas and Plumbing Engineer in Birmingham area? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

macka09

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hi, I'm a 32 yr old male looking to get into the gas and plumbing industry. I have relevant funds for the right course but there's so many out their. I've been to a training school in Walsall and they seem fine, but what I cant get my head around is the time frame they say I can pass and the portfolio side of things. The only work I have done regarding plumbing and gas, is stripping down a central heating system with a friend. Also fitting the odd waste pipe and plug/drains for sinks in the house.

The owner of the training company suggested I do a gas foundation course with a level 2 plumbing if I'm serious about getting into the industry.

The time scale I was given for the gas foundation was 2 full weeks at the centre, then however long to do the portfolio which consists of 3 boiler installs and 3 boiler services. Then 3 cooker installs and 3 services and 3 fire services. This is my first issue. I have emailed various companies in regards to helping me achieve the portfolio side of things to no avail, which is why I'm reluctant at spending my money. Although the manager seems to think that people they have go there for their 5 yr refreshers and things would be more than glad to help me out? I wouldn't expect to be paid as it all benefits me anyway, so why can't I find anyone to help me?

Then there's the ACS assessment to be completed, which to me he came across as if that was a certain pass cos they wont let you out the classroom till you do?

I am after lots of advice really if anyone can help?

I'm in full time employment which is why a college course isn't very suitable due to my employer not being very flexible with my hours as I do mornings one week and evenings the next.

Sorry if this isn't in the right area of the forum but I would appreciate any help on offer.

welcome to the forum Macka.
first thing is with only a very limited amount of plumbing experience how do you know this is really what you want to pursue??
I would always say get the plumbing first then progress to gas.
don't know what the foundation course is, but the suggestion is in the name,
that it is only a basic starting point that has to be built on.
there is no way that two weeks would lead to enough knowledge to safely work with gas!

Maybe first try to get some more experience at different aspects of plumbing work,
maybe a short weekend/evening course that doesn't break the bank.
There are lots of companies that will be happy to take your money,
but not give you what you believe you are paying for.

welcome to the forum Macka.
first thing is with only a very limited amount of plumbing experience how do you know this is really what you want to pursue??
I would always say get the plumbing first then progress to gas.
don't know what the foundation course is, but the suggestion is in the name,
that it is only a basic starting point that has to be built on.
there is no way that two weeks would lead to enough knowledge to safely work with gas!

Maybe first try to get some more experience at different aspects of plumbing work,
maybe a short weekend/evening course that doesn't break the bank.
There are lots of companies that will be happy to take your money,
but not give you what you believe you are paying for.

Thanks for the advice. I'm under no illusions that courses that are on offer will leave out certain info that maybe of an importance to me just to get a sale. The thing with getting some experience or feelers for the job is that I can't seem to find a placement or a local tradesman to help me make an in depth choice. I did ask at the training centre what would be more beneficial to do first, as I mentioned originally this is for a serious career change. Whilst I have the funds I want to put them to good use. The training centre do have plumbing courses also but I need to do the course that may help me find employment with in the industry first so that the investment pays for itself. I personally thought gas would be more in demand but I could be wrong. As I'm a 32 yr old male theres no chance really of an apprentice so I need to be able to gain the qualifications first by the look of it. Any other info would be great thanks

Hi Macka
I agree with Simon in that you should stick to plumbing for a few years to see if it suits you before you try going into gas.
Companies want experienced operatives and tend not to want learners however cheaply they offer their services.
Good luck though.

I can't believe just trying to get the right advice about this industry is so hard to come by. I completely understand that a company wants the right people but surely just the fact I'm willing to invest so much of my own money shows that I'm serious and willing to learn.

Not relevant I'm afraid, companies have plenty of choice from experienced guys who can earn them money from day one.
If they wanted a learner they'd take on a sixteen year old.

So that's the attitude I was warned about lol. I wonder if all the plumbing and heating industry guys got into it straight from school. I think not. Now I know why eastern europeans are being employed more and more, thanks anyway

I got into it straight from school, the best way imo but not the only way.

You asked for advice, I'm sorry if it's not the advice that you wanted to hear.

Hopefully someone who has been down the path I'm trying to take will be able to help. You may as well have said theres to many of us lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Gas and Plumbing Engineer in Birmingham area? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I'm looking for a gas engineer who I can work with so I can complete my portfolio. I have done level 2 and 3 tech cert along with bpec gas...
Replies
Views
My name is Chanel i’m 19 years old i’ve just finished my level 2 plumbing course and i’m looking for an apprenticeship or someone who could take...
Replies
Views
A
Hi guys I finished my gas course in September can anyone help me i need to do 2 install and services. Am living i ln leeds west yorkshire I do...
Replies
Views
Ahmad marian
A
Hi there, I'm sniffing around what to expect of getting a job in plumbing. My job makes me redundant at the end of September. The whole warehouse...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone I currently work in oil and gas industry working in North Sea and further afield operating on high pressure oil and gas plants. This...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock