Search the forum,

Discuss Flimsy Pressure Relief Valve in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

boondocker

I have a combi boiler: Chaffoteaux Minima MX2.
A few days ago water started leaking from the PRV.
It was leaking from the seat and from the side where
the discharge pipe is connected via a 15mm tap connector.
The tap connector is not 90 degrees and looks like its had
the end hacked off. It has then been connected to some orange
vacuum hose which in turn is connected to some more copper that exits
the wall outside.

I notice that there is a lot of play where the PRV connects; a slight nudge
and water will leak.
It is held in place by a 'hair clip' but there is movement in all directions: vertical, horizontal
and rotational.

Is a fitting with this much play water tight and should the discharge
pipe not be all copper? If it is all copper does this not add stress to,
what appears to be, a very flimsy connection. There doesn't seem to be room
anywhere to add a pipe support on the wall if/when the discharge pipe run is corrected.

A new PRV is all plastic. Whereas the old brass fitting had a red cap that had
a rotation arrow on it and a spring inside that was activated to release
water pressure. I can't see how the new one works. The red cap is
fixed solid.

What's the correct method for installing a discharge pipe run and why such a loose PRV
fitting?
Any help/comments gratefully received.

Thanks.

I think a picture is needed... I can't wait to see the orange vacuum hose... :smile5:

I think a picture is needed... I can't wait to see the orange vacuum hose... :smile5:

Pictures forthcoming.
According to Chaffoteaux tech support the boiler installation kit provides the spigot and some tubing to connect to the discharge pipe. Would you advise running it all in copper anyway?

I took a Chaffoteaux out of a caravan on Friday that had a clear plastic pipe coming from the PRV. I assume this was something that was done just because it was in a van. Perhaps it was a standard thing on them. I've still got the old boiler on my scrap pile, I'll have a look at the connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Flimsy Pressure Relief Valve in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it 😬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock