Discuss Feeding radiator from above in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi fitted many a radiator over the years, but never from above. Have radiator hanging on kitchen wall for past 6 months but not connected yet. Kitchen floor is concrete so can't fit pipe under floor and don't want to start taking units out to fit pipes behind them.. Can i feed from above. In process of fitting new bathroom and now have access to floor directly above kitchen radiator. I'm thinking pumped system shouldn't be a problem, but do i put valves at top or bottom ?

either both bottom or one top one bottom if its a small rad both on one side will work if larger than say 600 id go either side

Hi Steve thanks for the quick reply. Rad is a Column Radiator Cast Iron Style White 1500mm x 180mm so i think i'll put feed top one side and return bottom other. Thanks again for your quick reply.

Could you not just run pipes down wall then along floor and feed both valves from bottom then box pipes in? Or did i misunderstand your question?

If fitting the flow at the top & return at the bottom, fit the pipes on opposite sides (diagonally). Also be careful to check if rad has baffles which require flow to be directional.

Actually .....scratch my last comment, i missed the bit about the kitchen cupboards in the way......doh:lipsrsealed2:

Hi Hunterseye

I could have done that but not a fan of boxing in pipes if i can get away with it. Main issue was feeding from above. Connecting at top of rad means less pipework thats all . The rad is only 180mm wide but the reason for that is it's all the room i have between the end of my kitchen units and the back door. I have no other place to put the rad. If i put both pipe's to the bottom then would have to put them behind rad and then twist and turn pipework until it reached valves. As i said i.m in the middle of doing my bathroom at the moment so just trying to make life a litte bit less complicated and heat our small kitchen for the first time in 13 years ( never had rad in kitchen since we bought the house ) During the winter we pick straws to see who is going into the kitchen to make a cuppa.

Last edited:
Thats fine braveheart if your the one dealing the straws :wink_smile:

Baffles!!! What the ***** are baffles please don't complicate this for me. Got enough on my plate at the moment. Checked product spec and no mention of baffles. Says this versatile radiator is compatible with all domestic central heating systems, will connect with your existing pipe work. Surely thats enough. Baffles !! if i Google that i bet i end up with **** !!!

Hunterseye you haven't met my wife ( well i hope not ) she can have the straws anytime she asks for them, come to think of it i always make the tea !!!

Baffles!!! What the ***** are baffles please don't complicate this for me. Got enough on my plate at the moment. Checked product spec and no mention of baffles. Says this versatile radiator is compatible with all domestic central heating systems, will connect with your existing pipe work. Surely thats enough. Baffles !! if i Google that i bet i end up with **** !!!

Hope I didn't baffle you too much? Lol!
All I meant was take care to join the rad the way manufacturer states. Some column rads have a piece of metal inside them on one side to divert the water. Some don't. Others are supposed to have pipes joined to one end only despite looking same at each end. Rad instructions will say if any issues.

Any chance you could post a pic of it?

rad.jpg
Any chance you could post a pic of it?

As you can see it.s the only space i have . Temp pipe now in place as the bathroom floor is now tiled.

Hope I didn't baffle you too much? Lol!
All I meant was take care to join the rad the way manufacturer states. Some column rads have a piece of metal inside them on one side to divert the water. Some don't. Others are supposed to have pipes joined to one end only despite looking same at each end. Rad instructions will say if any issues.

Hi Best

Don't have instructions must have lost them. I believe it's a Hudson Reed rad, checked website and no mention of baffles so assuming it's ok

My word that is tight. my only question is, if you pipe up the bottom left hand side, are you going to have enough room to do so, looking at the pic its very tight. or if you go down right hand side, how are you going to secure your pipe work? Forgive me if this is an obvious question.

My word that is tight. my only question is, if you pipe up the bottom left hand side, are you going to have enough room to do so, looking at the pic its very tight. or if you go down right hand side, how are you going to secure your pipe work? Forgive me if this is an obvious question.

My plan is to feed top left and return bottom right. Fix pipe to wall with talon brackets or pipe clips. Will probably put return pipe behind rad to avoid any mishaps when in and out back door. Was going to use chrome pipe but wife prefers white so it can be painted same colour as wall. Smart cookie the wife !!

if there s not enough room for a valve join to the rad using iron to copper couplings and use inline valves at high level in truth id use a couple of ballofix valves

Hi Thanks to all who replied. Just to let you know i have went with the valves top and bottom.Feed top left and return bottom right. Again thanks to all who replied.

I'd take that out and go for a kickspace heater to be honest.

A member asked about the column radiator fiited a few years ago so i thought i would update the post.

Fitting the column radiator turned out to be the perfect option for my kitchen. Before this we had a very cold kitchen with no practical place to fit one. The heat generated from the column radiator was more than enough to heat the kitchen even with it being right next to the back door. . As for the feed and drain, feed went to top left, drain went to bottom right . 20160620_105523_resized.jpg Four years later and we have had no problems. Only had to bleed radiator once and that was because i drained the system to install a new radiator.

A member asked about the column radiator fiited a few years ago so i thought i would update the post.

Fitting the column radiator turned out to be the perfect option for my kitchen. Before this we had a very cold kitchen with no practical place to fit one. The heat generated from the column radiator was more than enough to heat the kitchen even with it being right next to the back door. . As for the feed and drain, feed went to top left, drain went to bottom right . View attachment 26535 Four years later and we have had no problems. Only had to bleed radiator once and that was because i drained the system to install a new radiator.

Oh my life! That looks awful.

Oh my life! That looks awful.

I think the most important thing here is that OP has done the work himself, got a warm kitchen now and is happy to live with the aesthetics. I wouldn't pay someone to do that but seeing as the people in the home are OK with it that's all that matters really.

Personally, I'm pleased for Bravehearts and his warm kitchen.

:cowboy::cowboy::cowboy::cowboy::cowboy::cowboy::cowboy::cowboy::cowboy:
I think the most important thing here is that OP has done the work himself, got a warm kitchen now and is happy to live with the aesthetics. I wouldn't pay someone to do that but seeing as the people in the home are OK with it that's all that matters really.

Personally, I'm pleased for Bravehearts and his warm kitchen.

Oh my life ! Thanks very much.

To be fair Stigster Millsy does have a point.
Thankfully the scaffolding is only their temporarily.

And you will be even more pleased for me Stigster. The scaffolding is their so external insulation can be fitted to my home ( poured concrete ). Oh and it's being done by professionals.

Warm kitchen and soon to be Warmer Home.:party:

Couldn't plastic at least have been dropped from the corner (and boxed) and threaded through the cupboard?

just in the place to ensure you burn your arm taking off the boiler cover......

Really Guys. Don't you have proper jobs to do.

If i didn't know better i'd think you were jealous !!!

ooooooh rough as a badgers- you'll burn yourself ooooooh

Even Millsy saw the joke in my previous post.

For the record the column radiator was the most practical option for that space.It is also cheaper to run than a plinth heater with fan.The radiator is about a foot of the ground for a reason. The stop valve is at the end off the units, if i put the radiator any further down i would not have access in an emergency. All factors taken into consideration.
Originally the plan was to bury the pipework in the wall but as the kitchen had been done the year before i decided it would have been too messy to cut out the channels in a poured concrete wall. i don't like boxed in pipe as it looks worse then the pipes you see in the pic.
The truth is that it works and 4 years on we don't even notice the pipes any more.
One day i may even go back and bury the pipes but until then as the Stigster said

"I think the most important thing here is that OP has done the work himself, got a warm kitchen now and is happy to live with the aesthetics. I wouldn't pay someone to do that but seeing as the people in the home are OK with it that's all that matters really.

Personally, I'm pleased for Bravehearts and his warm kitchen." And soon to be warmer home, i can here them drilling as i type.:cowboy:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Feeding radiator from above in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock