Discuss Feeding radiator from above in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi fitted many a radiator over the years, but never from above. Have radiator hanging on kitchen wall for past 6 months but not connected yet. Kitchen floor is concrete so can't fit pipe under floor and don't want to start taking units out to fit pipes behind them.. Can i feed from above. In process of fitting new bathroom and now have access to floor directly above kitchen radiator. I'm thinking pumped system shouldn't be a problem, but do i put valves at top or bottom ?

either both bottom or one top one bottom if its a small rad both on one side will work if larger than say 600 id go either side

Hi Steve thanks for the quick reply. Rad is a Column Radiator Cast Iron Style White 1500mm x 180mm so i think i'll put feed top one side and return bottom other. Thanks again for your quick reply.

Could you not just run pipes down wall then along floor and feed both valves from bottom then box pipes in? Or did i misunderstand your question?

If fitting the flow at the top & return at the bottom, fit the pipes on opposite sides (diagonally). Also be careful to check if rad has baffles which require flow to be directional.

Actually .....scratch my last comment, i missed the bit about the kitchen cupboards in the way......doh:lipsrsealed2:

Hi Hunterseye

I could have done that but not a fan of boxing in pipes if i can get away with it. Main issue was feeding from above. Connecting at top of rad means less pipework thats all . The rad is only 180mm wide but the reason for that is it's all the room i have between the end of my kitchen units and the back door. I have no other place to put the rad. If i put both pipe's to the bottom then would have to put them behind rad and then twist and turn pipework until it reached valves. As i said i.m in the middle of doing my bathroom at the moment so just trying to make life a litte bit less complicated and heat our small kitchen for the first time in 13 years ( never had rad in kitchen since we bought the house ) During the winter we pick straws to see who is going into the kitchen to make a cuppa.

Last edited:
Thats fine braveheart if your the one dealing the straws :wink_smile:

Baffles!!! What the ***** are baffles please don't complicate this for me. Got enough on my plate at the moment. Checked product spec and no mention of baffles. Says this versatile radiator is compatible with all domestic central heating systems, will connect with your existing pipe work. Surely thats enough. Baffles !! if i Google that i bet i end up with **** !!!

Hunterseye you haven't met my wife ( well i hope not ) she can have the straws anytime she asks for them, come to think of it i always make the tea !!!

Baffles!!! What the ***** are baffles please don't complicate this for me. Got enough on my plate at the moment. Checked product spec and no mention of baffles. Says this versatile radiator is compatible with all domestic central heating systems, will connect with your existing pipe work. Surely thats enough. Baffles !! if i Google that i bet i end up with **** !!!

Hope I didn't baffle you too much? Lol!
All I meant was take care to join the rad the way manufacturer states. Some column rads have a piece of metal inside them on one side to divert the water. Some don't. Others are supposed to have pipes joined to one end only despite looking same at each end. Rad instructions will say if any issues.

Any chance you could post a pic of it?

rad.jpg
Any chance you could post a pic of it?

As you can see it.s the only space i have . Temp pipe now in place as the bathroom floor is now tiled.

Hope I didn't baffle you too much? Lol!
All I meant was take care to join the rad the way manufacturer states. Some column rads have a piece of metal inside them on one side to divert the water. Some don't. Others are supposed to have pipes joined to one end only despite looking same at each end. Rad instructions will say if any issues.

Hi Best

Don't have instructions must have lost them. I believe it's a Hudson Reed rad, checked website and no mention of baffles so assuming it's ok

My word that is tight. my only question is, if you pipe up the bottom left hand side, are you going to have enough room to do so, looking at the pic its very tight. or if you go down right hand side, how are you going to secure your pipe work? Forgive me if this is an obvious question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Feeding radiator from above in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock