Discuss Eco deal question in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

diamondgas

Hi folks,

I was asked by a Letting Agent whether installation done through Eco should have TRV's fitted? I pointed him towards Par L of the building regs regards new and replacement boilers that states that they do need to be fitted. I was wondering though what your thoughts are and whether these are a requirement?

I know that it's a contentious issue and that there's a get out clause regards whether the customer wants it or not! However through the Eco deal who wouldn't say yes? My question is, are trv's suppose to be fitted by those undertaking boiler replacements through ECO?

This should be interesting :)

Cheers!

I was asked by a Letting Agent whether installation done through Eco should have TRV's fitted?

I think your letting agent needs to be clearer what he means by the word "should".

There is a big difference between "You should do xyz in order to conform with best practice" and "You should do xyz because you are contractually obliged to".

I suspect that in the case that you raise, the answer is "yes" if you are asking the best practice question, and "no" if you are asking the contractual obligation question.

I think your letting agent needs to be clearer what he means by the word "should".

There is a big difference between "You should do xyz in order to conform with best practice" and "You should do xyz because you are contractually obliged to".

I suspect that in the case that you raise, the answer is "yes" if you are asking the best practice question, and "no" if you are asking the contractual obligation question.

Are you saying that the improvements offered via eco DO NOT require the installer to fit thermostatic radiator valves Ray? Where would I find evidence that backs that up? I'd like to point the guy in the right direction. :)

Are you saying that the improvements offered via eco DO NOT require the installer to fit thermostatic radiator valves Ray? Where would I find evidence that backs that up? I'd like to point the guy in the right direction. :)

No I am not saying that. I am saying that the contract between the installer and the householder/landlord is not the same thing as the requirements or recommendations of building control.

It is possible to satisfy one without satisfying the other.

No I am not saying that. I am saying that the contract between the installer and the householder/landlord is not the same thing as the requirements or recommendations of building control.

It is possible to satisfy one without satisfying the other.

hmmm interesting! I hear what you're saying, my 'but' is though; the landlord/agent who was a major party to having the tenants get in touch with the eco scheme seems to believe that there should have been trv's fitted. Also wouldn't the installer be contravening building regs if they didn't fit trv's and would therefore be recommending that they be fitted?

I reckon the installers are banging these jobs off as quick as they can or even worse the company winning the installation are then hiring installers to do the work as quickly as they can, paying them the minimum and fleecing those who are paying for the scheme!!

That aside though, is it a have to do to pass the necessary installation requirements of the eco deal?

how much is that going to add in a heating system install? People can barely afford it now

Have you never quoted to fit TRV's on boiler change? I thought that its been building regs for ages? Anyhoo's ... that doesn't help with my question regards eco!!

Section 1.7 of the design guide still states that I a component is replaced, it even gives the example of a boiler, that only that component has to comply and there is no obligation to upgrade rest of the system.

Have you never quoted to fit TRV's on boiler change? I thought that its been building regs for ages? Anyhoo's ... that doesn't help with my question regards eco!!
Of course but you didn't HAVE to install them so it's was an optional extra expense!!

I thought it was a legal requirement bought in several years ago, and even had Gassafe check that I had installed them on on an inspection

how much is that going to add in a heating system install? People can barely afford it now
So you just will not comply with any Laws that add costs to any of the job you do then ??
Do you clean the system, add inhibitor, complete the commissioning, register the new boiler with GSR etc etc?? all add cost to the job, I am sure if you don't you could do a really cheap job that more could afford but who would benefit. ?

So you just will not comply with any Laws that add costs to any of the job you do then ??
Do you clean the system, add inhibitor, complete the commissioning, register the new boiler with GSR etc etc?? all add cost to the job, I am sure if you don't you could do a really cheap job that more could afford but who would benefit. ?
Hang on....who said I wasn't going to do it? Where in that statement did I say I will not comply,you have made a number if assumptions there my friend. I was just making a comment that people who can now 'just afford' a boiler won't be able to then as the extra costs incurred in materials plus labour.

But if something is required, it is required, who are you to decide what people can & can't afford. Suggesting that these things are optional extras just encourages those who want to pay the bare minimum to ignore the Laws of the land, at the expense of those who are trying to do the right thing. As has have said a number of times on here, it is very easy to race to the bottom!!

The case, after all, for installing TRV's / room stats etc with with any boiler change is very strong, it not only costs but saves money & carbon.
(not so much for Landlords though, who are the ones for some reason lest keen to upgrade IMHO)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Eco deal question in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back