Discuss Easy Use Taps for Elderly in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thoggy

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hi I have an elderly lady that wants her taps changing on basin for something easier to turn, she is about 90 so was thinking quarter turn lever but she mentioned push down taps.
Any help appreciated. Thanks Martyn

Quater turn might be a better option, id also consider fitting a TMV(thermostatic mixing valve) to regulate the temperature so the water out the hot tap is released at a nice and safe temperature.

I've put ceramic lever taps in our bathroom, (which are quarter turn) and nothing could be easier to turn.

Does she mean the push down taps like the ones in public toilets? They don't seem to work properly for long.

Push down (non concusive) will be too difficult to use.

1/4 Turn lever are the best.

Buy a Tap Reviver kit which is basically a new tap head and spindle and is very, very easy to fit. This kit is available as a quarter turn set. Fitting this means that you can leave the existing taps in place on the basin.

Basically you first switch off the water, take the old tap head off, remove the spindle with a spanner, fit the new reviver spindle and tap head, switch water on and test. Full easy to follow instructions come in the box!

Non concussive taps or self closing taps as they are sometimes known are best left to public loos, schools etc. and need constant servicing if heavily used. Not really suitable for an elderly person as more effort is required to switch them on than a lever tap.

Tap reviver kits are available from PTS or B&Q. The Bristan kits are in my opinion is the best.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Non concussive taps" Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

I've cussed em plenty of times, especially when walking out of the gents with a soaking wet trouser front because the damn things have blasted out water - can be quite embarrassing for the more sensitive man!

Cheers everyone, the thermostatic mixer valve is that just put on the hot pipe feeding the tap? Think I'll go with the lever taps now, I agree the push taps in public toilets either wet you or go off before a speck of soap has been washed.

no you pipe up a tmv like this
Saracen%201%20Di.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Easy Use Taps for Elderly in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock