Search the forum,

Discuss Sink tap replacement advice in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

C

Colin W

Hi

I have a sink that has the basin plus another smaller basin next to it, think it is a 1/4 of the size of the main basin. The unit comes up through one hole, has 2 taps that turn and the unit can swivel to go to either basin. The taps have 4 prongs that can be turned (sorry not technical) similar to ones on Screwfix website "swirl-cascade-dual-lever-kitchen-mono-mixer-tap-chrome/470pg".

We now have to turn the cold tap quite hard otherwise it drips and we also have water collecting around the base of the neck. As it is around 12 years old it probably needs replacing.

Being rather elderly I was wondering if it would be better to have the taps that are lever like (just pushing up a 1/4 turn or moving left/right quarter turn) as these may be easier for use to use.

I have looked at reviews on both screwfix and amazon and it left me with more questions as the poor reviews mention poor quality and dripping with 1 year or 2 which is not what I want (the current no name brands lasting ~ 12 years).

Are there any particular brands that are better than others to look for and what type of turn on/off mechanism is the best (the 4 prongs, lever up, lever left etc). Also is it better to go ceramic (which the current ones are) or normal washer types? I also prefer separate taps on the unit for hot and cold (as it is now) rather than just one that mixes them itself.

I am gathering the information prior to having a plumber change it out and I want to get one that will ideally outlast me.

Thanks in advance
Colin

1/4 turn taps maybe good if you are elderly, stick to branded taps such as Pegler, Bristan, Grhoe et al, as the support and warranty will be better.

Bristan is usually my first choice for taps.
With regards the type of valve, just have what you like. A good brand tap will last well either way.

Reply to Sink tap replacement advice in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock