Search the forum,

Discuss Please help - thundering noise when I open the hot water tap in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello

I have no experience in this industry. A few years ago our home was completely stripped apart, remodelled and extended. This required new hot and cold water pipes all over the house, a larger boiler, larger tank and so on - see attached. We wanted the water tank to go into the loft but the company overseeing the work gave excuses that it's better on the ground floor which we didn't question at the time. Since then, we found out it could've gone there (and should've) but that's irrelevant now. See attached for picture of what it looks like.

After the housework was complete, everything was working great. Hot water and heating was controllable by Hive. However, we found the water was hot 24/7 even on consecutive days where we turned off the hot water schedule completely. And then months later we received a painful electric bill. We suspected the heating system was the cause and called the heating engineer.

The heating engineer took apart things and then realised the system (which he installed/oversaw) had immersion heating turned on. He literally spent 7 hours working on it and even got replacement parts for things he thought was broken. He said it was his fault for leaving it on and we told him not to worry. Just glad the issue was found. He switched it off and then we were now able to control the hot water from hive. It's the switch in the attached picture, below the hive receiver on the right.

However, the day that he left, we would frequently hear thundering sound from the same room. I've attached a video where you can hear the sound. He was sent the same video but he said he didn't know. While the sound seems "confined", it's much more profound in person and can be heard across rooms and floors.

We tried to get him to come back but it was a busy period for him so we had to wait months. When he came, he wasn't able to replicate the issue and left after 10 minutes. This gave us anxiety and stress because it was loud enough to scare us. We've since narrowed the issue down to when someone opens the hot water tap and generally when it's opened quickly.

I'm not going to touch anything, however, I want to get enough opinions and ideas before contacting him again (or perhaps call a different heating engineer). When he worked on the hot water issue, perhaps he did something to the pump such as change its setting? Maybe it's too strong or not strong enough? (I don't actually know which one the pump is). Or maybe something else has gone wrong?

I'd appreciate your thoughts and insights.

Attachments

• IMG_6827.jpeg
    IMG_6827.jpeg
    365.5 KB · Views: 13
  • Video.mov
    828.5 KB
The pipework in your photo looks to me as though it could do with a few extra clips. (From memory, vertical 15mm copper water pipes should be clipped at no more than 1.8m intervals and 1.2m if they are horizontal. For 22mm the figures are 2.4m and 1.8m respectively.)

What you're describing could be explained by the expansion vessel being at the wrong pressure.

Last edited:

Reply to Please help - thundering noise when I open the hot water tap in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock