Search the forum,

Discuss Does this type of 22mm fitting exist? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Howdy,

I am moving my cold water tank in my apartment bathroom and, as space is tight, I want to use a 90-degree elbow immediately after the water outlet at the bottom of the tank.

The tank was fitted when the place was built here in Dublin 27 years ago.

Here is the tank outlet:
tank-connector.jpg

This image shows the existing tank connector and the old fitting which was attached to it towards the top of the image, that had a slow bend on it which I want to replace with an elbow. I can't find a suitable elbow for this.

I found this on an American website, I need something like this, bot obviously one that will fit my tank outlet.
Screenshot 2022-07-12 at 18.45.26.png

I bought some 22mm (1.5 inch) elbows but can't find one that fits. Here we see a comparison of the nut from the old attachment with a nut from a newly bought 22mm elbow, the old nut seems bigger.

nut.jpg

Here is the tank connector diameter.
measure.jpg

Any idea what connection I need and where I can get it in the UK or Ireland?

Tanks a lot! :)

Regards,
David

https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/jg-speedfit-plastic-push-fit-tank-connector-22mm/14952

https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/jg-speedfit-plastic-push-fit-equal-90-stem-elbow-22mm/20071

Can use this with a rubber washer and a brass 3/4” tap back nut.

It’s a 3/4” Male iron to 22mm compression elbow, in brass.

Can get a Male iron with longer thread if needed but they are expensive.

Attachments

• 846CA9CF-7214-45CD-860E-54F3724C567B.png
    846CA9CF-7214-45CD-860E-54F3724C567B.png
    809 KB · Views: 11
Thanks guys,

Ben, since I'm working with copper (so far anyway) I bought the two pieces you recommended at Screwfix.

Here they are with the old nut in the background

new-fittings.jpg

I assembled them as shown here:
new-fittings-assembled.jpg

I have to sayI am not entirely sure how to attach this to the tank, is the idea that both the tank outlet and the 3/4” Male iron to 22mm compression elbow both thread into the 3/4” tap back nut? One from each end? I am not sure about this.

In the first post I measured the diameter of the tank outlet, it was 27.55mm, here I measured the threaded part of the 3/4” Male iron to 22mm compression elbow, it is 26.19mm, almost 1.5mm off. It's not a big difference but still.....
diameter-of-threaded-piece.jpg

... it does mean that the 3/4” tap back nut will not thread on to my old tank outlet:
does-not-fit.jpg

So I am not sure what to do from here.

Maybe I should just disconnect my old tank outlets and get new ones? I don't really want to break every connection I've got but maybe its best?

I could try one of these two?

As always, gentlemen, your advice is greatly appreciated!

Dave

Ben means swap the tank connector with what you now have and the back nut internally with a washer on the inside

Thanks Shaun, thanks Ben. I see what you mean now.

Unfortunately, when I put a washer inside and outside the tank I can't get on to the thread with the nut. The thread is not long enough.

Ben, you mentioned it should be possible to get a male iron to 22mm compression elbow with a longer thread, do you have any idea where I could buy one?

I bought a pair of those Prestex Bent Male Iron Tank Connectors, Shaun, these look ideal for the job. Not cheap but it's the right fitting for what I need.

Thanks!

I am only now getting around to installing these. I've just noticed that the new Prestex Bent Male Iron Tank Connectors are smaller than the original ones that I am replacing. 18.8mm interior on the new versus 21mm in the old.

IMG_7333a.jpg

IMG_7332a.jpg

IMG_7335a.jpg

IMG_7334a.jpg

What do you think, is this a problem?

As a reminder on what I am doing here, this is to connect a standard cold water tank in an apartment hotpress to the hot tank just below it and the rest of the bathroom cold fittings.

As with everything in plumbing sometimes you have to be creative a rubber washer with a poly one on top fitted internally in the tank should do it , your other option is PTFE the 3/4 BSP thread 20 turns push through the tank add a fibre washer smeared with a pipe sealant suitable for potable water add a poly washer then the nut and tighten that should take up the gap for you . Regards kop

What’s the od ?

Hey folks.

Shaun asked for the OD which I believe means Outside Diameter. This is shown below, in mm and inches.

OLD FITTING:

old-mm.jpg

old-in.jpg

NEW FITTING:

new-mm.jpg

new-in.jpg

Is there any issue with the reduced flow of water through the new fitting given that it's 0.06 inches or 1.4mm narrower?

Or is it that the problem you guys see is that it will be more difficult to create a tight waterproof seal with the tank when installing the new fittings?

I paid about €80 euro (£70 GBP) for those two Prestex Bent Male Iron Tank Connectors so I do hope I don't have to dump them.

Thanks again guys!
Dave

Yep spot on won’t reduce the flow as 22mm pipe is around 19mm internal

Reply to Does this type of 22mm fitting exist? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new...
Replies
Views
Hi. I need a new toilet supply line but don’t know the size type of the fitting at the shut off valve. It is not 3/8 compression. It is a plastic...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock