Discuss Condensing boiler using alot of oil. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

GSM

Hi Folks, I just wanted to ask about the oil consumption of my condensing boiler. It is a Worcester boiler which was installed and commissioned 2.5 years ago. The boiler achieved an efficiency back then of 98%. I have been keeping a close eye on my oil use recently and feel that it is excessive. Over a 2.5 week period I have used 85 litres of oil, I only have my hot water zone on for 40mins and my first floor radiator zone on for 1 hour in the mornings and in the evenings my first floor radiator zone would be on again for 1 hour. My house is a new build approx. 3500sqft with double glazed windows. My house is well insulated - over and beyond required u-value standards. I have a zone of under floor heating as well which is not turned on (afraid to turn this on as I know my oil level would drop significantly!) I don't understand why I'm using so much oil - I had thought previously that I had a leak, but I checked my oil levels before and after being on holidays on a couple of occasions since we moved in and the oil level didn't drop. I haven't had the boiler serviced since we moved in 2.5 years ago and know that this is something I should organise to get done, but the oil consumption has been high from the start when we moved in. I am thinking that the boiler hasn't been set up correctly or something? I know that Worcester is a good manufacturer and that's why I decided to spend extra and install one. I have friends who have their heating on constant i.e. under floor set a specific temperature and boiler comes on when temperature drops below this and they use very little oil compared to me. Any ideas? I appreciate any help anyone can give me. Thanks very much. GSM.

Hi Croppie, thanks for that. I plan to get it serviced and get an efficiency check done on it. If it still happens to use a lot of oil what do you folks think I should do? Could there be something wrong with the way it is set up? Do you guys think this is an excessive amount of oil for the 2.5 week period or am I just worrying about nothing? Sorry, I'm not a plumber and don't know much about this stuff. Thanks. GSM.

It'll be using more oil because the internal surfaces will be dirty. Soot acts as an insulator. For your boiler to achieve its rated output it will need regular TLC.

As croppie said with the servicing and reasons, i work that out at roughly ÂŁ2.90 a day for your hot water and heating.
not to mention it is fairly cold and as such the boiler will work harder, without the servicing that just makes it that pinch worse.
If your boiler burner set up is over sized then that could have a small impact.
is the boiler an external one?
what make is it?

post up on here in the i'm looking for a plumber section for a competent and qualified engineer.
never know you could have me!

the little hole in the burner nozzle gets bigger over time, so more oil escapes out of it, its that simple, when a manufacturer reccommends an annual service, it's not without reason! As mentioned in another post, a customer of mine just got an estimate of ÂŁ1500 to get his boiler in a state it might work today, he hadnt serviced it for 5 years!

Bet the baffles are welded in comon problem with the Worcester. When its been serviced see how you go and then ask the relevant questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Condensing boiler using alot of oil. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the...
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock