Search the forum,

Discuss Condensate pipe fitting in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

plasticbertrand

Hello There, Thanks for letting me join your forum.
I am a retired Instrumentation Engineer (Lady fitter) as we used to be called and so perhaps most of you might think I shouldn't need any help, but I do. Since retiring, I have had great help from various forums including gardening and 'car repair' forums to name two! New lease of Life I guess!!!
Anyway, We had a new Boiler fitted a couple of months ago and we have not escaped the 'National condensate pipe freezing problem'
At least 4 Engineers have been out to our problem with the Condensate pipe leaking, but have all just done temporary fixes because they are out on faults and cannot spend the appropriate time or have not got the correct gear on the van to fix it properly. I have been up the ladder with hot jugs of water several times.
The pipe that comes out of the wall (from the Boiler) is a white 22mm OD pipe which connects to an elbow connection on the main condensate 'down' pipe to the gulley.
This elbow then converts from a 22mm pipe to the 35mm main condensate pipe and leaks all the time. There is a rubber olive in the elbow which is supposed to seal any leak but it doesn't. One of the Engineers put some glue on -but did not fix it. Our gable end has been like the North face of the Eiger.
Also because the pipe has been pulled from the wall to allow hot water to be poured down to get rid of the ice -the fitting now is 'loose' and the main down pipe should be fixed at the top.
Can I please ask you if I can obtain a 'T' piece from 22mmto 35mm OD -so that in the event of future freezing of the condensate pipe then it can be poured from the top of the T branch to prevent the pipe being removed every time it freezes. I have lagged the present set-up and I think I should look to getting it trace heated too before next winter. I have scoured manufacturers but cannot find a tee like this.
I would really appreciate it if you would could let me know where I can get a fitting like this
Cheers and Many Thanks,
:)

The best way to install the condensate would be to convert from 22mm to 32mm inside the house and then run the entire length in the larger size.The 22mm pipe is obviously the part most at risk from the cold and it would be best to eliminate it if possible. Even this has been freezing up recently in the extreme temperatures we've been having,however.

Trace heating is probably the way to go,I think there will be a good number being fitted next year.

What does the "35mm main condensate pipe"terminate into?the main soil stack?I'm wondering what the rubber olive is,is it acompression fitting?A solvent weld 32mm tee and reducer would work for you I think, you would also need a cleaning eye in the top of the tee,to seal the pipe,it shouldn't be left open.

sadly a tee wont help much,if its backed up to that point then it would be full of very cold water and if you think about it it will have already backed up to the boiler, that's why you would be checking because its gone to flame failure better off putting as much lagging on as possible(and this is flawed as it will rot away quickly) and fitting a trace heater

you could run it in 4" if you wanted, it would still freeze up out side, unless it was dumped in 200ml lots down a vertical, once you get that first layer of ice in the pipe it just builds up and up, hence heater,= no problems

On second thoughts,standing on a ladder with a jug of boiling water, trying to unscrew a cleaning eye doesn't really sound like the answer does it?!

Trace heating it is!

Thanks for the reply cjg. They just mention metal pipes so Iv'e emailed the manufacturer to see if it's ok on plastic pipe. Best Wishes.

Thanks for the reply Bartdude, Your idea of changing the pipe near the boiler from 22 to 32mm and then through the wall into a 32mm tee outside to allow the the top straight of the tee to be opened and then pour hot water conveniently down it if need be.
The 35mm condensate pipe presently runs down and bends to the gulley beside the house rwg 'down pipe' so I'm thinking of cutting a hole near the bottom of the rainwater pipe and joining the condensate pipe into it 'cos it freezes at the bottom of the cond pipe. Best Wishes.

Thanks again and your dead right Bartdude, But I'd rather have an 'eye' to open it up so at least I can unblock it rather than a set up that Iv'e been left by a National gas supplier who would rather disconnect and pull fittings apart to put hot water down. If I get the pipe sorted out I will look into trace heating and getting it lagged properly it properly. Since their last visit three weeks ago, I have lagged it.

Thanks again gasman, yes, that was the problem at the start with the display on the boiler showing a code relating to a fault with the flame. But at that first call out event, the engineer told me correctly that it was because of the freezing pipe and the condensate tracking back to the flame. But all he said to me was that he had been out loads of times during the cold spell pouring hot water down condensate pipes, while he was pulling mine apart and pouring hot water down.
I just think the pipe should be sorted correctly in the first place with larger dia than 22mm. I don't mind replacing the lagging every year. Cheers again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Condensate pipe fitting in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock