Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss CO alarm question in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Russ

Hi

Can somebody confirm the parameters that a CO alarm should be fitted to, distance to flue, height etc

I seem to get conflicting answers from my subbies whenever I question their position and can never find the installation instructions on site

Thanks

Russ

buy one and have a read of the instructions, they can vary a bit but basically not on walls, 1m in from ceiling edge above appliance

buy one and have a read of the instructions, they can vary a bit but basically not on walls, 1m in from ceiling edge above appliance
Er, actually, LP, that isn't quite right, I'm afraid. Looking at instructions is a good idea though. The general instructions are: In the same room as appliance. No hanging beams (terminology??) between appliance and alarm, Ideally on a wall, between 1m and 3M laterally, from the appliance, not above doors, windows or radiators. About head height, but no nearer than 150mm to the ceiling

Last edited:
Or this: (excerpt from [DLMURL]http://www.sfdetection.com/madebymauve/product/productpdfs/43.pdf[/DLMURL])POSITIONING THE ALARM
1. Units located in the same room as a fuel-burning
appliance
• If the unit is located on the wall it should be located at a
height greater than the height of any door or window but at
least 150mm from the ceiling. If the unit is mounted on the
ceiling it should be at least 300mm from any wall.
• The unit should be at a distance of between 1m and 3m
from the potential source.
• If there is a partition in a room, the unit should be located on
the same side of the partition as the potential source.
• In rooms with sloped ceilings, the unit should be located at
the high side of the room.
2. Units located in sleeping rooms and in rooms remote from
a fuel burning appliance
• Units should be located relatively close to the breathing area
of the occupants.
WHERE NOT TO PUT THE ALARM
Do not place the unit in the following areas:
• Outside the building.
• In or below a cupboard.
• In a damp or highly humid area e.g. a bathroom.
• Directly above a sink or cooker.
• Next to a door or window or anywhere that would be
affected draughts, eg, extractor fan or air vent.
• Where the air flow to the unit would be obstructed by
curtains or furniture.
• Where dirt or dust could collect and block the sensor, and
stop it working.
• In an area where the temperature could drop below -10˚C or
rise to above 40˚C.
•Where it could be easily knocked, damaged, or where it
could be inadvertently removed.
• Do not paint the unit or allow the CO gas inlets to be Although I have wondered about the "not in cupboard"? What is wrong with leaving one inside an airing cupboard if the boiler is in there?

Last edited by a moderator:
Er, actually, LP, that isn't quite right, I'm afraid. Looking at instructions is a good idea though. The general instructions are: In the same room as appliance. No hanging beams (terminology??) between appliance and alarm, Ideally on a wall, between 1m and 3M laterally, from the appliance, not above doors, windows or radiators. About head height, but no nearer than 150mm to the ceiling

only a quick summary which wasnt totally wrong, but at least get your sample instructions to say what you said re 1- 3m lateral separation

NEVER, use general rules for this, always use the SPECIFIC MI for the unit being fitted

my generalization was for assessing those in situ when you look at a installation, agree with follow the mfis when installing as the mfis can differ as I pointed out in my other post

Last edited by a moderator:
BS EN 50292:2002. on where to locate a CO alarm & what to do when it goes off applies -
we don't get to view it through GSR website -
BS EN 50292:2002. is being rewritten and will be published later this year - there will be an article in the Gas Safe mag about it (my suggestion to Gas safe).

You can download MIs.
And of course they should be left with the customer!

I talked at length to a Leigh Greenham of
CoGDEM (Council of Gas Detection & Environmental Monitoring) - involved in the writing of the standard - about my book on CO and he is happy with what I have written so download this - there is a section on where to locate your CO alarm.
NOTE - if you downloaded the first version I have made a few changes so download the latest.
https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/342278

This is more or less it:
In rooms without an appliance (sleeping areas perhaps) head height/l ight switch level is suitable. Esp if upstairs when all appliances are downstairs.

Away from draughts.
Not behind curtains/ furniture.
Not in bright sunlight if temperature could exceed 40C
Not in humid locations.
Not close to "corners" where wall meets ceiling.

Room containing an appliance --- Ceiling or high up is "optimum" for early warning from spilling appliance because CO will stay high whilst appliance is on. (obviously risk for rooms above too).
Should be at least a metre away from the appliance.

If you are complying with Building Regs requirements for a CO alarm then it must be in the same room as an appliance (if appliance is in cupboard it should be outside the cupboard.

I suppose I should add that my ebook is free it will be in print by SEpt - about £3 from amazon etc... Please don't ban me due to blatant advertising!

[QUOTE

I suppose I should add that my ebook is free it will be in print by SEpt - about £3 from amazon etc... Please don't ban me due to blatant advertising![/QUOTE]

Mrs T

Anybody that bans you for advertising what looks will be a very informative and potentially life saving FREE book should be banned themselves

Thank you for your post. Keep up he good work.

Russ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to CO alarm question in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock