Search the forum,

Discuss Clip your Polyplumb or this! pic in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Sent from my GT-I91 uploadfromtaptalk1346955045239.jpg00 using Tapatalk 2

New build estate and my 4th polyplumb blow off, pipework in loft an unclipped tangled mess, everytime they turned off a tap this tee wobbled and eventually worked loose, or it wasn't tightend in the first place.

Last edited:
Plastics are for diy'ers anyway, rip it all out and replace with copper, just like the traditional way

looks like the plumber and sparks were in love and could not keep apart on install.

I worked on new builds for several years and every single house is first fixed like that

thats terrible mess, who spoilt it with that piece of copper just dont look right......

I worked on new builds for several years and every single house is first fixed like that
new build work is crap but then so are the prices pay peanuts get monkies i love the notch in the bottom of the joist a few years ago we did 16 houses in wanstead and the nhbc bloke came on site twice and only left the office once

new build work is crap but then so are the prices pay peanuts get monkies i love the notch in the bottom of the joist a few years ago we did 16 houses in wanstead and the nhbc bloke came on site twice and only left the office once

When I did site work the money was great ( All price ) but they did employ monkeys 1 lad came to me and said how do I pipe up the basin.

Another classic case of installers ignoring the manufacturers installation recommendations. 15mm plastic should be clipped every 300mm. There is no excuse for that tee blowing off as the pipes could easily have been clipped to the joists.

When plastic is done properly, it is quite time consuming and expensive what with clips every 300mm, inserts in every fitting and the cost of the fittings themselves. Copper and soldered fittings are just about on a par with the cost of plastic.

Incorrect installation is what gives plastic such a bad name.

He didnt pressure test it then?

a pressure test cant stop a fitting being effected by poor clipping and movement. Without clips plastic wipps around like a garden hose hence every 300mm a clip should be fitted. it may have helped if it had the correct sized lagging as it may have weighted it down alittle more.

Another classic case of installers ignoring the manufacturers installation recommendations. 15mm plastic should be clipped every 300mm. There is no excuse for that tee blowing off as the pipes could easily have been clipped to the joists.

When plastic is done properly, it is quite time consuming and expensive what with clips every 300mm, inserts in every fitting and the cost of the fittings themselves. Copper and soldered fittings are just about on a par with the cost of plastic.

Incorrect installation is what gives plastic such a bad name.

I wouldnt say its as time consuming as copper , the big bonus of plastic is you dont have a fire hazard so dont have to lug around fire extinguisher nor sit around an hour after soldering (in theory)

I wouldnt say its as time consuming as copper , the big bonus of plastic is you dont have a fire hazard so dont have to lug around fire extinguisher nor sit around an hour after soldering (in theory)
You don't have a fire hazard, but do have the problem of rodents eating it and flooding the building. I've seen this several times.

In a straight race against the clock, I bet I'd won with copper against plastic on a straight 30m run!

Last edited by a moderator:
Destroyer - that picture is a absolute disgrace and a plumber surely couldnt be proud of that work!

I worked on a new build site for 2 years and i was OVERBOARD with clips! Especially since knowing that the plastic i was told to install had a 10 degree tolerance before it would start to leak.
It is easy as pie! And not time comsuming, even doing it right! I could first fix a large 3 storey townhouse in 4 days. All pipework straight and clipped like crazy!

I still believe plastics are a DIY material, same as all push fit inc wastes (1 1/4, 1 1/2) cant beat copper - soldered joints, and solvent welded joints on wastes

The neighbour in this case also had her kitchen flooded out last year (not attended by me) but the guy never put any clips in just coupled back up so I was asked to go and clip all the pipes in the loft. Damn that insulation!

Got hit in the head by a coiled 15 plastic pipe today - sprung out of clip, came flying round and end hit me smack in the temple - seen stars - moral of story ? Plastic is rubbish

Got hit in the head by a coiled 15 plastic pipe today - sprung out of clip, came flying round and end hit me smack in the temple - seen stars - moral of story ? Plastic is s*€t

Had this happen to me, however was coil of 22mm and sliced me down my forehead, on a new build so to take my anger out picked up mash hammer and wacked the breeze block wall lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Clip your Polyplumb or this! pic in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

G
For the first time I had a failure with Speedfit resulting in a fitting blowing off behind a bath on the hot supply. I had connected speedfit pipe to a flexi tap connector and used the correct TS insert and the fitting was properly compressed. The only things I can think of for the reason for...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock