Search the forum,

Discuss Central heating stopped working - stumped! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TonyK1

A few weeks ago, I had a couple of very short (2 minute) power outages in the space of an hour.... since then i'm not getting any central heating.

The power cut might be a red herring.. but It's the only thing I can think of that might have caused an issue.. as it was running fine for a few weeks before that.

I've opened up the pump (Grundfos) while the heating was running - didn't seem to be any air in the system and I think it was running okay (?)

I've also manually opened the central heating valve... and i get a tiny amount of warmth from the upstairs rads.. but that's it

Can anyone think of anything I might be missing? Does it sound more like a pump issue.. or maybe something else?!

The boiler and thermostat are both fine and I'm getting constant hot water with no issues.

Appreciate any input!

Check out the heating valve again.

If you have needed to open it manually then it shows there is a problem with it.

If it's a Honeywell then latching it open will not operate the end switch to fire the
boiler and bring on the pump.

How did you check it?

Well it's not lost any settings since the power cut and i can see that it's calling for central heating, whether it's on the timer or when i've manually set it.

Check out the heating valve again.

If you have needed to open it manually then it shows there is a problem with it.

If it's a Honeywell then latching it open will not operate the end switch to fire the
boiler and bring on the pump.

Ah right. Is there anyway I can force it to switch? I'm guessing not and I'll just have to replace it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well it's not lost any settings since the power cut and i can see that it's calling for central heating, whether it's on the timer or when i've manually set it.

Just because it's not lost settings or shows it's calling doesn't mean it's actually providing a signal to the heating.
You need to test voltage out of the programmer.

Just because the lights are on doesnt mean its sending power.

Just because it's not lost settings or shows it's calling doesn't mean it's actually providing a signal to the heating.
You need to test voltage out of the programmer.

Hmm I'll have to get someone to test that. Is it feasible that the power cut might have knackered something?!

Do thermostats ever go **** up?!

I've also manually opened the central heating valve... and i get a tiny amount of warmth from the upstairs rads.. but that's it

Did you open the CH valve whilst boiler was running on hot water demand?

Did you open the CH valve whilst boiler was running on hot water demand?

Yes, I 'think' I only get a bit of hot water to the rads when the boiler comes on for the hot water.

Is that pointing towards a knackered 3-way valve? (power-cut related?!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Central heating stopped working - stumped! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock