Search the forum,

Discuss Central Heating circulation issue in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello i recently converted heating system from old stove to grand vortex b house 90 , boiler runs and works fine . How ever i have issue with water circulation have installed new pump but for some reason water don't circulate at all . what are the possible cause ? i have pump installed on return and and have one way valve on coil return I have attached image on how it looks like and schematics
20221011_1812082.jpg
Untitled-3.jpg

Pump installed in the wrong place also shouldn’t be facing up the bleed screw needs to be on the side or at worst 45 degrees

After the cylinder but your feed and vent arnt in the best position most likely will pump over

Attachments

• A404CFD1-91D5-40F9-8ABD-452549EC40EA.jpeg
    A404CFD1-91D5-40F9-8ABD-452549EC40EA.jpeg
    52 KB · Views: 21
As per my image also best to upgrade to an s plan from a gravity set up also while your at it eg port valves

So in the picture the right are the pipes straight from the boiler ?

So the left out the floor is the boiler ones
The ones on the right are to your rads ?

Left hand side flow out the floor going upwards
Vent
Feed
Pump
Port valves for heating and hot water

If you want me to draw it out will knock something up tomorrow for you

Yes and basicaly feed and expension pipe are the same . So if i understand this correctly best possition for he pump is on the flow right after t junction on downwards pipe that goes into rads and expansion pipe than would push water down then ?
20221012_112351.jpg

Attachments

• 20221012_112847.jpg
    20221012_112847.jpg
    374.9 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
My 50 year old system has the exact same combined cold feed and vent but the pump is installed just before the (oil fired) boiler return on the ground floor.

A bit surprising, if the rad returns were into the pump suction that it wasnt circulating through the rads at least.
I think yes, install the pump on the flow side and ensure the cylinder flow and rads flow pipes are downstream of the pump discharge, assuming that you want to have a fully pumped CH&HW system. I would also suggest installing a 1/2" gate valve on the cold feed to the Feed&expansion tank ballcock filling line as you should fill the system very slowly so as the air can vent up through the same pipe that the water is filling the system through.

Last edited:
I have moved pump to different location it seems to be working noe all fine . But the problem doest really heat hot water very well qnd forst floor radoators as well . Both flow and return pipes are hot now all rads on second floor also hot but hot water cylinder and first floor rads cold or at least it takes way longer to heat them up .
20221012_140110.jpg

I see the pump is on Auto setting, you might change that to a higher setting and post the make/model of the pump, most pumps, Grundfos etc just don't work on this Auto setting. Also the cylinder coil NRV should be removed IMO (if still installed) especially if a spring loaded type but try pump on different setting for a start.

should be installed like this

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    12.7 KB · Views: 20
I see the pump is on Auto setting, you might change that to a higher setting and post the make/model of the pump, most pumps, Grundfos etc just don't work on this Auto setting. Also the cylinder coil NRV should be removed IMO (if still installed) especially if a spring loaded type but try pump on different setting for a start.
if i take off NRV then it stops circulating . i would guess i need to redo feed and pump location . Put pump on flow before boiler and feed before pump like in example ShaynCorbs send

I would think that it should work if you install in the horizontal pipe just above it and shift the vent to the left of it, that way the cold feed is to the suction side of the pump and the whole system should operate at a positive pressure. As installed IMO, should still work but not the best as system will be at negative pressure in places.
Ideally, should have mot.valve and balancing valve on cylinder coil as cylinder temp will run at the boiler temperature otherwise.
Shaun is showing the pump on the flow from the boiler, pump pumping away from the boiler (correctly), but the above mod should achieve the same IMO.

Have you changed the pump settings?.

I would think that it should work if you install in the horizontal pipe just above it and shift the vent to the left of it, that way the cold feed is to the suction side of the pump and the whole system should operate at a positive pressure. As installed IMO, should still work but not the best as system will be at negative pressure in places.
Ideally, should have mot.valve and balancing valve on cylinder coil as cylinder temp will run at the boiler temperature otherwise.
Shaun is showing the pump on the flow from the boiler, pump pumping away from the boiler (correctly), but the above mod shouachieve the same IMO.

Have you changed the pump settings?.
Yes i tried to set to max but as soon as i take out NRV its stops circulating or atleast ot doest pump hot water from boiler though the system .

If the flow&return are as shown and directions correct and the cold feed is shown correctly then suggested mod should work IMO, there are hundreds of installations like this with the pump mounted high up at the cylinder some with a mid position valve close by. To get the system up and running you can always install the zone valve later but maybe install balancing valve with next mod. I don't have one (but do have a Mot.valve) and a 6M pump running at 3.5M can circulate 10 rads + the cylinder coil.

The most obvious question of all, are the flow and return pipes connected to the correct boiler points?.

I,m still a bit puzzled as to why the original installation (pump on return) didn't circulate through the rads as essentially it was the same as my system except that my pump is pumping into the boiler (return) at ground level and adjacent to the boiler, the cold feed is connected in exactly as yours is.
Two attic bedroom rads do run with a slight negative pressure but its never been a problem.

Attachments

• Modified Rev1.jpg
    Modified Rev1.jpg
    951.5 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
If the flow&return are as shown and directions correct and the cold feed is shown correctly then suggested mod should work IMO, there are hundreds of installations like this with the pump mounted high up at the cylinder some with a mid position valve close by. To get the system up and running you can always install the zone valve later but maybe install balancing valve with next mod. I don't have one (but do have a Mot.valve) and a 6M pump running at 3.5M can circulate 10 rads + the cylinder coil.

The most obvious question of all, are the flow and return pipes connected to the correct boiler points?.

I,m still a bit puzzled as to why the original installation (pump on return) didn't circulate through the rads as essentially it was the same as my system except that my pump is pumping into the boiler (return) at ground level and adjacent to the boiler, the cold feed is connected in exactly as yours is.
Two attic bedroom rads do run with a slight negative pressure but its never been a problem.

The pump is on the rad circuit only john

Original pump location (on the return) achieved no rad circulation, why not.
Second pump location only achieves limited rad circulation but only if cyl coil NRV installed, also strange.
Where should it be installed if my suggestion above incorrect?.

Original pump location (on the return) achieved no rad circulation, why not.
Second pump location only achieves limited rad circulation but only if cyl coil NRV installed, also strange.
Where should it be installed if my suggestion above incorrect?.
if i get this right i would need to move ether on return or flow but after or before boiler ,bypass valve . then have 3 way motorized valve that diverts either to cylinder or rads , and keep that NRV on return ? that would solve all problems i guess as it would heat up ether rads or cylinder first and then would switch to the other one . or ofc i 2x two way valves . but i though all this should work ether way without putting those 2 way valves as old houses dont have them

Where was the pump installed when you had the stove?
on return . and behind cylinder there is two pipes going down straight to the stove , and another coil on the other side . So basically pipes on the right from rads was going behind boiler and down to the stove splitting into coil . So all i did basically is cut those pipes from stove and use the ones that on the left and new coil as well . its basically exactly how it was with the stove . Image on how it was and how it is now
Untitled-1.jpg

Last edited:
OK , thanks, clear now,

Was there any particular reason for installing the new circ pump on the return but upstream of the cyl coil return, which required the NRV on the coil return (post #1) when you could have installed the pump downstream of the cylinder coil return and have a fully pumped system and have removed the NRV and installed a gate valve for balancing purposes, if required?. I can now see why removing the coil NRV stopped all circulation with that setup.

OK , "Second pump location only achieves limited rad circulation but only if cyl coil NRV installed," this is possibly because the cold feed is to the pump flow side but really shouldnt stop circulation but if you are OK to do it, I would relocate the pump & AAV as per post #26 and install a balancing gate valve in place of the coil NRV and then test the system again, you can just use the gate valve as a on/off valve for the cylinder coil, if the results are satisfactory then can look at installing other options re zoning.

Can you give me details of that new circ pump, name/model etc.

NO, STOP, looking at your set up you can't do it as I suggested as the pilpe on the right is NOT the flow from the boiler, its the flow pipe to the rads (hence my query), is that right.
this is the present set up, confirm if you agree.

Attachments

• MODS Present.jpg
    MODS Present.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 12

Reply to Central Heating circulation issue in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock