Search the forum,

Discuss Can Grundfos UPS2 fail slowly? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi there,

I have a grundfos ups2 whirring away and it takes ages to warm up the rads in my house, and then only to a lukewarm temperature. When i turn off all the TRVs upstairs to push heat downstairs, the rads down there get hotter, but again they take ages to warm up. The pipes out of 3 way mid-valve are molten hot going to central heating and lukewarm to hot water cylinder, so i know the valve is alright. So the heat is there and heading in the right direction.

Do I need a new pump? or is this a boiler problem? I've desludged our system recently and my in-line filter isnt bringing out much magnetite.

Cheers in advance

Sounds like it’s slowing

Have you checked the pump and valves incase there restricted ?

It was on 2 but i've put it on 3. Putting it on 3 stops the boiler giving an F23 error (temp differential between flow and return on being greater than 35 degrees - Vaillant boiler) this doesnt make rads get any hotter though
If the pump is performing normally on constant curve 3 and assuming the boiler's min output (max turndown) is 6kw then a flowrate of < 0.2M3/hr (0.17) will keep the flow/return dT to 30C and will have a head of 6M so either faulty pump or severe restriction somewhere?, if the F23 is happening during burner fire up then a flowrate of ~ 0.5M3/hr required but the pump head should still be 6M at this flowrate. If, as you say, the mid position valve is OK then can't see why the water temp should only be lukewarm to the HW cylinder coil especially in the mid position of CH&DHW selected.

If the pump is performing normally on constant curve 3 and assuming the boiler's min output (max turndown) is 6kw then a flowrate of < 0.2M3/hr (0.17) will keep the flow/return dT to 30C and will have a head of 6M so either faulty pump or severe restriction somewhere?, if the F23 is happening during burner fire up then a flowrate of ~ 0.5M3/hr required but the pump head should still be 6M at this flowrate. If, as you say, the mid position valve is OK then can't see why the water temp should only be lukewarm to the HW cylinder coil especially in the mid position of CH&DHW selected.

Thanks for the reply John. Sorry what I meant was that the mid position valve was on CH only with HW off. This meant the pipework from my new mid position valve was molten heading off to the rads and lukewarm on the HW pipework from the mid position valve. So I know the hot water is heading round the CH circuit but it's not getting my rads hot enough. I just used a magnet to see if there was any magnetite build up, and the magnet found something on the u bend before the pump! Obviously my x400 hasnt shifted it! The pipework in my airing cupboard doesn't make sense to me, could I post a pic and get your input on whether it's dodgy or not please? Many thanks

So this is the upstairs Airing cupboard, boiler downstairs in the kitchen. I cant make heads or tails of it. The copper pipe from before the pump, round the ubend and half way up is all sticking to a magnet. Is that a normal place for magnetite to be? Also is that Fernox TF1 in the right place? Many thanks

Attachments

• 20220604_092737.jpg
    20220604_092737.jpg
    235.8 KB · Views: 18
There should be a arrow on the pump body, is it pointing up or down, also you might answer the query in the attachment.

Attachments

• 20220604_092737.jpg
    20220604_092737.jpg
    353.6 KB · Views: 16
There should be a arrow on the pump body, is it pointing up or down, also you might answer the query in the attachment.
Hi John, thanks for the reply.

The arrow on the pump is pointing upwards towards the mid point valve.

To answer your query, That dodgy plastic pipework is coming out from the shower pump, the grey piping goes off through the wall to the shower on the other side. Unless your comment is about the HWC return valve.

Cheers

So the magnetic filter is only on the return from the HW cylinder coil?, is this the only one in the whole system and when/why was it installed?. Is the system sealed with a expansion vessel or open vented with a header tank?.

So the magnetic filter is only on the return from the HW cylinder coil?, is this the only one in the whole system and when/why was it installed?. Is the system sealed with a expansion vessel or open vented with a header tank?.

No flow from the boiler

Header tank

No flow from the boiler

Header tank
OK making a bit of sense now, so boiler, mag.filter, vent, cold feed, pump then m.position valve.
Has the magnetic filter been cleaned recently?, if not there from day one then possible blockage around the vent/cold feed area, if no blockage here and if the pump is performing OK then would expect pump over through vent or back through cold feed, have a look in the F&E tank for any pump over or movement in the tank, also watch it while getting someone to stop/start the boiler/circ pump.

Last edited:
No flow from the boiler

Header tank

OK making a bit of sense now, so boiler, mag.filter, vent, cold feed, pump then m.position valve.
Has the magnetic filter been cleaned recently?, if not there from day one then possible blockage around the vent/cold feed area, if no blockage here and if the pump is performing OK then would expect pump over through vent or back through cold feed, have a look in the F&E tank for any pump over or movement in the tank, also watch it while getting someone to stop/start the boiler/circ pump.
So the boiler pumps up through the mag filter and onwards to the pump. Should the filter not be before the boiler? Or is that being idealistic. Anyhow, the filter appears clean at the moment, I do it twice weekly.
How would I go about unblocking this? Cutting it out and cleaning it then using compression couplers to it back on? Thanks so much for your time. It's much appreciated.

Easy way to test remove the pump and open the bottom pump valve a smidge see if any water flows

So the boiler pumps up through the mag filter and onwards to the pump. Should the filter not be before the boiler? Or is that being idealistic. Anyhow, the filter appears clean at the moment, I do it twice weekly.
How would I go about unblocking this? Cutting it out and cleaning it then using compression couplers to it back on? Thanks so much for your time. It's much appreciated.
Ideally, yes the filter should be on the return just before the boiler. It would be very unusual to have two pumps in the system if this is what you are inferring by saying the "boiler pumps up through the mag.filter."
You should carry out the suggestion above by draining off some water and see if the ball cock starts making up water into the F&E tank as rapidly as its being drained off, that will show if the cold feed is clear, at least

Should also have asked if HW circulates without alarming if HW only selected, esure the red gate valve on the coil return is at least 1 full turrn open.

Reply to Can Grundfos UPS2 fail slowly? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about this one. Granddaughter just moved house and this valve decided to leak when it was closed. When open its fine. Normally I have repacked the gland on...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up to 1.3. I've had an engineer look inside the boiler and he can't see anything wrong. I've checked the pipes all over the house and cannot see any...
Replies
Views
P
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock