Discuss Broken and cracked sewerage pipe in the garden - options? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a good chat with the guy over the phone before. He said he doesn't have a problem with me applying for building control and he doesn't want the work held up if building control person doesn't turn up as he'll have to pay the 2 guys. He confirmed in an email that he'll be reasonable and only charge extra if their work is delayed by a day.

What if the building control officer turned up and condemned the work as not correct, listed instructions on the rectification meaning that your contractors work was not up to current code? Would your contractor still have your confidence? Have you physically checked his public liability is in order and that his labourers are also covered, bet they are not on PAYE, FYI checkatrade references have proved worthless. Why ask for advice from the guys on here and then not accept it? Building control certificates are a legal requirement not a matter of choice. Sewerage disposal is a serious issue.

What if the building control officer turned up and condemned the work as not correct, listed instructions on the rectification meaning that your contractors work was not up to current code? Would your contractor still have your confidence? Have you physically checked his public liability is in order and that his labourers are also covered, bet they are not on PAYE, FYI checkatrade references have proved worthless. Why ask for advice from the guys on here and then not accept it? Building control certificates are a legal requirement not a matter of choice. Sewerage disposal is a serious issue.

Of course I take your advice on board. That's why I'm going for the replacement option, rang building control and had a chat with the contractor.

So far what I"ve found is if you repair a drain pipe, you don't need building control certificate but I've applied for it as you guys have recommended it.

If the work is not up to standard, then I can ask him to fix that but if his guys can't carry on with the work if the building control guy doesn't turn up,it's hardly fair that he has to foot the bill.

I am just being pragmatic but I'll have building control certificate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Of course I take your advice on board. That's why I'm going for the replacement option, rang building control and had a chat with the contractor.

So far what I"ve found is if you repair a drain pipe, you don't need building control certificate but I've applied for it as you guys have recommended it.

If the work is not up to standard, then I can ask him to fix that but if his guys can't carry on with the work if the building control guy doesn't turn up,it's hardly fair that he has to foot the bill.

I am just being pragmatic but I'll have building control certificate.
Your not repairing you are replacing, but thanks for taking our advice.

Don't forget to check PLI. Make this a habit whatever contractor you employ. My PLI was around ÂŁ400 pa and I really enjoyed giving a copy to any customer who asked for proof. Last year the next door property to us was having major works which involved scaffolding on my land. The owner just assumed I would give permission for the scaffold, I asked for the contractors PLI and scaffolding licence. Guess what, he had neither. So permission was refused. It then transpired that none of the subbies had it either.

I, for the life of me, cannot understand why you would not get the whole drain replaced, if the insurance company are offering to pay for it?

You will find it very hard to claim on it again in the future.
I think you are extremely lucky to have the insurance company offer to pay for repairs on the current drain you have.

Your not repairing you are replacing, but thanks for taking our advice.

Don't forget to check PLI. Make this a habit whatever contractor you employ. My PLI was around ÂŁ400 pa and I really enjoyed giving a copy to any customer who asked for proof. Last year the next door property to us was having major works which involved scaffolding on my land. The owner just assumed I would give permission for the scaffold, I asked for the contractors PLI and scaffolding licence. Guess what, he had neither. So permission was refused. It then transpired that none of the subbies had it either.

When I explained to the council's building control surveyor, he said it's a repair and it's a grey area whether building control is needed anyway I've arranged for him to inspect it tomorrow afternoon.

I must admit I didn't check his public liability insurance physically but I saw that on checkatrade it said it's verified and up to 1 million.

As for the reason why I am not replacing all the drains, maybe I wasn't clear earlier but the insurance money approved was for the amount quoted to reline the drain and not the dig up the whole patio and replace. But the option to replace the damaged part in the garden was a couple of hundred pounds cheaper.

To dig up the patio and put it back it would easily add another 500 pounds or so to the bill which the insurance won't cover anymore. There's only about 5m of clay in the main sewer pipe that's under the patio and it's fine (the drain guy checked again yesterday before starting the work) so I'm going to leave it as it is and if it breaks in 10 years then I'll worry about it then. To be honest I might not even be here in a few years time so not going to worry about things that far ahead.

Yes ideally I would have liked to have replaced the whole thing but it's too late for that now. I should have had the survey done before the patio was laid and probably should have asked the people to quote for the replacement option and not reline option.

What are you going to do if the drain collapses or get infested with tree roots in 12 months.?

What are you going to do if the drain collapses or get infested with tree roots in 12 months.?

Well if that happens, I'll dig up replace. There are no trees/plants near that section so very unlikely to be damaged roots. As I said 2 guys put their cameras down there and didn't see any problems in that section under the patio but I know there's no guarantee it's going to be fine in the future.

Whether I do it now or get it done later, I'll have to pay out of my pocket so I'll take the chance and not break the new patio.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Broken and cracked sewerage pipe in the garden - options? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi All This is following on from thread I made a few days ago but can't seem to find I'm in a bit of a bind with my CH design where I want to...
Replies
Views
Hi all, a recent CCTV survey has shown 5-6 areas of large joint displacement along an area of drain 5 meters in length. One company has said to do...
Replies
Views
[ASIDE: I did wonder if this was the best forum for this but figured as it was a boiler related issue that the gas engineers would be dealing...
Replies
Views
We have a problem with a downstairs bathroom toilet. When flushed, the water in the bowl rises, as does the water coming up from the shower drain...
Replies
Views
Need some advice, neighbors sewer drain keeps blocking up every few months. My wife and I have always chipped in with the other three neighbors...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock