Discuss British Gas servicing in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert Tyrrell

Gas Engineer
Don't want to put this on the general forum in case anyone on here is, or is related to, a BG engineer.

We moved into our house 10 years ago and have always had a BG service contract as the wife used to work for BG, then NG, before she took early retirement.
for eight of those ten years I was working as a teacher, but now have gone back to what I used to do and have recently qualified as Gas Safe so I cancelled the service contract with BG and decided to do my own servicing.
Yesterday I serviced our boiler (Range Powermax 155x) and it took 2.5 hours to do it (Bi-annual service) as required by the MI.
BG always took around 20 minutes to service the boiler and, after reading the MI, I have noted that it's never been serviced properly in the 10 years we've been using it.
I have [watched] every service that was done, being previously in the trade and interested in the developments, so I know that they never once removed the burner or replaced the burner gasket, which is required on the annual service.
During my service I noted that two of the baffles had corroded so much that they are too far down the HE tubes to remove and I cannot get them out via the sump plate either.
on reflection it appears that BG only ever checked the programmer controls and the WP. only one engineer actually went into the garden to look at the meter or look in the loft to check the flue but none of them removed the cover on the flue in the boiler cupboard to check the upstand.

My question is, after the lengthy description of how bad the servicing was, is how do I get my money back from BG for the last 10 years of poor service, especially bearing in mind that I am probably going to have to replace the boiler before its' time is due owing to the poor (Read non existent) servicing.

I agree that a full service will take a considerable amount of time.
The problem is that the allocated time for the job will be far less than the required time to do the job as per MI's.
Now that you are back on the tools; you may find customers reluctant to pay 2.5hours labour plus materials for a boiler service.

+1 bg will always cut things off there stnd service is stick the fga in and maybe top up the pressure they don't even take the case off

you may find customers reluctant to pay 2.5hours labour plus materials for a boiler service.
I tell them first that I'm going to do a proper service as per MI, and how long it will take/cost. If they don't like it they can always get a cowboy and risk their safety/bank balance when it all goes wrong.
I do the same with oil and I've had very few customers that decline my services

you may find customers reluctant to pay 2.5hours labour plus materials for a boiler service.
I tell them first that I'm going to do a proper service as per MI, and how long it will take/cost. If they don't like it they can always get a cowboy and risk their safety/bank balance when it all goes wrong.
I do the same with oil and I've had very few customers that decline my services :)

Sorry but if you knew they spending 20 minutes at the property then you must have known what kind of service you were getting ( or weren't as it turns out )

The powermax is one of those boilers that everyone hates, nobody wants to take on & I doubt very much BG will warrant a refund...

I had a customer other week who got some money back after i picked up defects .

She never got much but some from what i gather but some is better than none.

I think if you read Bg terms and conditions it's not a service they are doing its called a safety check or something which is basically a lgsc without the tightness test. Many people have tried to argue this with Bg

Part of a safety check on these would be to inspect the baffles etc..... There's a tech bulletin on them I think from memory.

BG engineers seem to more like sales men from my experiences. They are not all bad guys, far from it, just the nature of there job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to British Gas servicing in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the...
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock