Search the forum,

Discuss brass olive on plastic pipe (22mm reducer) in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all, had some great advice on this forum and need a bit more... I've used this reducer (pictured) to step down a 22mm lead loc coupler to 15mm. I inserted 15mm plastic pipe (with a pipe insert) with ptfe wrapped round the olive which is brass. Just read online that that's no good as brass doesn't seal well with plastic pipe is that right? The connection feels solid I gave it a half turn after tightening by hand and it's not leaking. What are the chances of this type of connection blowing off and flooding the house is that likely, and if it was going to leak would it have leaked already? It's been on for several hours now. Would you professionals re-do the connection with copper or leave as it is?

Attachments

• plumbing reducer.jpg
    plumbing reducer.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 7
Fine it it’s not leaking and the system is on I would say it’s fine

Would keep an eye on it for the next week but after that your good

I’ve done plenty of plastic pipe with brass olives (compression elbows) and they’ve all been fine. I don’t know where, or who specifically stated, you can’t use it with plastic.

I’ve done plenty of plastic pipe with brass olives (compression elbows) and they’ve all been fine. I don’t know where, or who specifically stated, you can’t use it with plastic.
A few sites online and general forum chat saying a copper olive is better with plastic as they are softer and need less tightening. I've got a couple of chrome compression elbows on chrome pipe boxed in too which had brass olives and I connected them to plastic pipe. Nothing has leaked but I'm tempted to switch them out and re-do with copper olives for the peace of mind if it's possible they might leak within the next years.

I am of the copper olive on plastic brigade - although I'm not sure why.
BUT those reducers can leak if you don't use the (invariably brass) olive that comes with them.
In this case as above - obey prime directive - if it ain't broke etc.

There’s an old saying “if it’s ain’t broke, don’t fix it”, which would apply here. You could be opening up a can of worms, or a leak in this case.

I am of the copper olive on plastic brigade - although I'm not sure why.
BUT those reducers can leak if you don't use the (invariably brass) olive that comes with them.
In this case as above - obey prime directive - if it ain't broke etc.

Many thanks for the replies and advice, it's much appreciated. I'll take the professional advice in that case and leave them as they are. I'm sure the people in the flat below will let me know if they ever start to leak! Thanks again

Reply to brass olive on plastic pipe (22mm reducer) in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock