Search the forum,

Discuss Bore size for a shower hose with a Fully pumped supply in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

this may sound a basic question, but it is important. I have seen so many conflicting opinions, even from manufacturers. Some say, just use the biggest bore possible, others say use a small bore 8mm for a fully pumped system & a large bore 11mm for a gravity system. There must be a reason why different size bore hoses are manufactured.

I changed the shower hose yesterday, thinking it to be the same; although it did have a scale catcher fitted, which I discarded, to a full bore 11mm shower hose, but it appears the flow is now less, so should I change it to an 8mm bore to achieve the maximum flow rate.

Many thanks

I suspect you mean the pressure is different as the flow rate will be more with the 11mm aslong as the shower matches

I suspect you mean the pressure is different as the flow rate will be more with the 11mm aslong as the shower matches
I said flow as the shower water wasn’t as good, maybe I am referring to pressure coming from the shower head 🤔 so in that case would an 8mm bore hose give me more pressure at the shower head ?the previous hose was, I believe a full bore also, but was 1.25m whereas this hose is 1.5m......so am I best replacing with an 8mm bore or 11mm bore 1.25m hose ?

A bigger bore hose always IMO but for a electric shower won't make a huge difference as its limited thermally to 3.5/5 LPM.
If you had a 1.5M 11mm hose the pressure drop will be 1.88M at 20 LPM, a 1.5M 8mm hose will have a pressure drop of 8.88M for the same flow rate of 20 LPM or almost 5 times greater but the shower head is most important, a electric shower with a flow rate of 4 LPM with its proper head can feel more pleasant than a shower with the improper head (jet size) at 8 LPM.

A bigger bore hose always IMO but for a electric shower won't make a huge difference as its limited thermally to 3.5/5 LPM.
If you had a 1.5M 11mm hose the pressure drop will be 1.88M at 20 LPM, a 1.5M 8mm hose will have a pressure drop of 8.88M for the same flow rate of 20 LPM or almost 5 times greater but the shower head is most important, a electric shower with a flow rate of 4 LPM with its proper head can feel more pleasant than a shower with the improper head (jet size) at 8 LPM.
Hello
so that means basically, there is no point in considering an 8mm bore hose, even though I have a dual pumped water supply from an immersion cylinder, . internet searches vary enormously one manufacturer said an 8 mm bore will increase the flow a lot, Others say the bigger the better. It’s not just about flow, I assume the pressure at the shower head is also a factor ( thinking of jet wash machines, not much water but a lot of pressure )

so how much difference would a 1.25m vs a 1.5m 11mm bore hose be ?.....thanks

In the example I gave above, 1.88M drop @ 20LPM in a 1.5M 11mm hose becomes 1.56M drop @ 20LPM in a 1.25M 11M hose so theoretically for the same dynamic head before the hose to give 1.88 drop you should get ~ 22LPM but in practice you will see little or no gain as the increased pressure loss in the shower head and the slight drop in your pump head will mean a very small increase in flow, the total head loss from the pump discharge(s) to the shower head must be used when calculating flow rates.

Reply to Bore size for a shower hose with a Fully pumped supply in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock