Search the forum,

Discuss Boiler suddenly rattling / banging loudly - anything I can check? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

H

Hannah!!!!!

Hi!

If anyone is able to give any advice it's hugely appreciated! I'm in the UK if that makes a difference.

I have a condensing combi boiler (Baxi Potterton Duo-Tec 33 Combi ErP) installed 2017. Works well and is serviced annually. In the loft above a bedroom. Only thing to perhaps mention is over Christmas it went off due to low pressure. We checked and couldn't find leaks anywhere, and ended up just using the refill loop. It has worked fine since then, and pressure has stayed in the 'large green wedge' both when heating is on and off. Normally quiet, though a bit of 'crackling' in downstairs radiators especially when heating first comes on. Probably irrelevant, but we also have a water tank connected to a thermal panel.

This morning the boiler suddenly started banging / rattling, really quite loudly. Pressure has gone up to the high side, though still green. For now I've just switched off the heating, so it's fine at this moment. Is there something I can do before calling in an expert? With the pressure being a little higher should I bleed some radiators?

I tried to record the sound as my definition of banging may not be someone elses :) Here on this YT link: boiler banging Feb 2023 - https://youtube.com/shorts/iUMEbLZhmes

Thanks again for any thoughts and your time.

Overheating could be a few things eg pump etc is it under warranty do you know ?

I would suspect a pump issue you need a engineer to diagnose the problem , there is normally 7 years warranty on a baxi so it may just be in ? , But beware baxi don't like their engineers working in lofts it's to much of a insurance risk for them so good access, lighting is a must ? Kop

Thanks so much. Since I posted that the pressure went down to zero, then back up to normal, and then last night went down to zero again and has switched off. So I think it's beyond me now - I'm happy to refill using a loop, alter temperatures or bleed radiators, but not much more.
Unfortunately the boiler location was in the loft when we moved in, but we do have boards and decent lights. I'll call someone out and get it sorted.
Thanks again for your time.

Thanks so much. Since I posted that the pressure went down to zero, then back up to normal, and then last night went down to zero again and has switched off. So I think it's beyond me now - I'm happy to refill using a loop, alter temperatures or bleed radiators, but not much more.
Unfortunately the boiler location was in the loft when we moved in, but we do have boards and decent lights. I'll call someone out and get it sorted.
Thanks again for your time.
Hi - our boiler is having the same issue with the pressure gauge bouncing up and down. Please tell me there's an easy fix?!

This sounds very much like my problem....

Hello
The heating side of my Ariston Combi A23 has stopped working since a new 3 way valve has been installed.
It's been a hugely reliable boiler up until now with regular servicing.
When the heating is turned on the boiler ignites and looks to start up but then a few seconds in, knocking sounds comes from the boiler and kind of makes it's way down to the pump (which appears to be working) and then all stops.
The pressure is good.
Wondering if it is air in the system where it shouldn't be.
Any advice please.

Boiler problems - https://youtube.com/shorts/ppWEWP6HA7Q

Reply to Boiler suddenly rattling / banging loudly - anything I can check? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

My son has an apprenticeship interview for to become a plumber and heating engineer. The have said there will be a multiple choice exam for this for suitability. The thing is my son panics during tests/exams. Is there any book I can buy him to practice the multiple choice test for the exam? What...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock