Search the forum,

Discuss Boiler Losing Pressure - Main Eco Elite Combi in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

lozzy

Hi,

I had a Worcester 28CDi recently replaced with a Main EcoElite Combi Boiler and ever since installation is loses pressure every 3/4days.

With the old Worcester we occasionally lost pressure, butmaybe once or twice every 6 months at most. The old boiler only seemed to startlosing pressure (as far as we were aware!) when we had had a gas leak and hadthe gas rerouted instead of under the floor it was taken up and through theloft space and back down to the boiler.

The Worcester was old so we got it replaced a couple ofmonths ago, but ever since then the Main Eco boiler seems to lose pressure alot quicker than the Worcester did! We top it up to between 1-1.5 and it isfine, then over night seems to cut out as it's dipped below 0.5. (We've noticedit tends to be after we've done the washing up in the evening! But obviouslydon't notice it until the morning when we need a shower!)

A couple of the radiator thermostatic valves have previouslyhad small leaks, which we have fixed with some tape and tightening etc andwe've had the plumber out who fitted the new boiler to take a look to see ifthis is the issue but he seems to think the leak is under the floorboards andsaid we should just live with it and keep topping it up. We obviously aren'thappy with this opinion but also don't want to start ripping up the woodenflooring without cause either.

We've bled the radiators too just in case it was that.

There are no visible signs that the pressure relief valve isleaking outside either.

Is there anything to suggest before I go down the route ofseeing if my insurance offer a leak tracing service!

Thanks in advance

Hi, sorry to hear you having a problem with a new boiler, I would speak with the chap that told you to just live with it, if this is his attitude I would seriously wonder about his ability! is he Gas Safe? sole trader or company? if he works for a company get them in to sort it, let us know what happens

Yes that's what I thought when my partner told me what he had said! It just feels like he's trying to get out of doing more work... we don't know much about plumbing so we've just taken what he said, but the more and more it loses pressure the more I think he's just pulling a fast one. He's gas safe registered and a sole trader I think. Not sure what to do next other than get a second opinion but then that will cost me!

The boiler can be isolated from the system with the valves underneath.
This will prove if it's the boiler or heating system.

To see if your pressure relief is letting by, you can cut the pinky finger off a latex glove and put it over the end of the pressure relief pipe outside. If the pressure relief is leaking then you'll either see the water in the glove finger or it will come off entirely. You can at least eliminate it this way.

Under no circumstances must you block the discharge pipe in any way that could cause an obstruction but using the method I describe will not cause any problems.

Yes that's what I thought when my partner told me what he had said! It just feels like he's trying to get out of doing more work... we don't know much about plumbing so we've just taken what he said, but the more and more it loses pressure the more I think he's just pulling a fast one. He's gas safe registered and a sole trader I think. Not sure what to do next other than get a second opinion but then that will cost me!

It may still cost you to get the original guy to sort it. I would never take ownership of existing pipework as I don't know how long it's been there or the quality of the install. To be honest though if he knew there was already a leak common sense would have been to fix it while the house was a mess during the boiler change. Some people are very much in and out and are not worried about the aftercare. I know if I had an old joint go as a result of an install I would probably fix it out of good will if it was relatively accessible. Some others may not do for free as its not their joint. Many people have wording to this affect in their t&cs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Boiler Losing Pressure - Main Eco Elite Combi in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock