Currently reading:
Boiler distance from kitchen sink

Discuss Boiler distance from kitchen sink in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
So there's no real set distance like the zones in bathrooms, the fused spur for the boiler could just be positioned the other side of the boiler or something so its further away from the sink?

As long as the dishwasher can reach the sink, does it matter where the boiler goes :)

Hi is there a set distance a combi boiler has to be away from a kitchen sink?

James the First,

You have us all confused, is it because you think its like a power socket or is it because of dead leg run to hot kitchen tap, most kitchen taps have a big window in front of them (NOT ALL I KNOW) so what's the point of your question.

the regulation covering this is BS 12345CommonSense from memory :)

so if water spray or steam can get at the appliance then its probably not a good position.

There are quite a few issues here - partic as the appliance has mains lecky to it and often
sinks are under windows (thinking flue) centralheatking

I have always understood that if the boiler is within touching distance of the sink then it should be in a cupboard

There isn't a restriction, electrically, it's quite common to see sockets above a sink in a redesigned kitchen layout

NICEIC recommends at least 300 mm should be provided from the edge of a sink or draining-board to an electrical accessory.

Distance from a sink? Electrically depends on the IP rating of the boiler. Efficiency wise boiler should be as near to your draw off points as practical, so you don't have long dead legs of cooling hot water and not wasting water by having to run the taps for minutes before the hot water comes through.

Distance from a sink? Electrically depends on the IP rating of the boiler. Efficiency wise boiler should be as near to your draw off points as practical, so you don't have long dead legs of cooling hot water and not wasting water by having to run the taps for minutes before the hot water comes through.

You are spot on Reg Man with the kitchen sink but what about the bath upstairs, better to put it right in the middle then, that puts the boiler in the hall, don't need to worry about IP rating then, have you any idea what the IP ratings are for various boilers, I have never seen them rated, I didn't know they ever have one, maybe I am wrong and out of touch with all this modern stuff.

NICEIC recommends at least 300 mm should be provided from the edge of a sink or draining-board to an electrical accessory.
I think thats a recommendation & good practice , its not a regulation & in reality not always practical . There is no specific regulation concerning this . ( Waste disposal units ? )

You are spot on Reg Man with the kitchen sink but what about the bath upstairs, better to put it right in the middle then, that puts the boiler in the hall, don't need to worry about IP rating then, have you any idea what the IP ratings are for various boilers, I have never seen them rated, I didn't know they ever have one, maybe I am wrong and out of touch with all this modern stuff.
Usually stated in the Electrical supply info in the first few pages of MI ,,,,,,, the one we always skip past :devilish:

Rabbit,

A lot of these things are recommendations, however if you ignore them and someone dies or is badly injured as a result of you not making sure you did all you could to mitigate, you yourself are dead in the water, you would need a bloody good barrister to pull you out, if it says 300 mm, I have looked for IP ratings and can't see any on UK boilers, French ones yes. Bad example waste unit, still should have an isolator 300 mm as before, it was not practical to the judge will not do, he will ask could you have put the "whatever thingy" anywhere else and the expert witness for the prosecution will say, yes the coal shed mi lud.

Send him down!!!

Rabbit,

A lot of these things are recommendations, however if you ignore them and someone dies or is badly injured as a result of you not making sure you did all you could to mitigate, you yourself are dead in the water, you would need a bloody good barrister to pull you out, if it says 300 mm, I have looked for IP ratings and can't see any on UK boilers, French ones yes. Bad example waste unit, still should have an isolator 300 mm as before, it was not practical to the judge will not do, he will ask could you have put the "whatever thingy" anywhere else and the expert witness for the prosecution will say, yes the coal shed mi lud.

Send him down!!!
WB 30Cdi IP4XD ,,,,,,, page 9 MI

Exactly, It will look great in the hallway:cheesy:. You know what I'm getting at. IP rating is in the manufacturer instructions, you would have to look at BS7671 electrical standard or similar to under stand what it means.

Last edited:
Exactly, It will look great in the hallway:cheesy:. You know what I'm getting at. IP rating is in the manufacturer instructions, you would have to look at BS7671 electrical standard or similar to under stand what it means.

Caught up now, IPX4 minimum protection against droplets of water or condensation, from the outside in obviously, no protection for a self leaking heat exchanger, insdie out.

I find installing them over sinks is fine. The double glazing window frames are easy to fix to and you only need a hammer to brake a flue hole in the glass, none of this messy core drill nonsense.

I think thats a recommendation & good practice , its not a regulation & in reality not always practical . There is no specific regulation concerning this . ( Waste disposal units ? )

From current BS 6798:2009

Specification for installation and maintenance of gas-fired boilers of rated input not exceeding 70 kW net

Electricity supplies and wiring
5.6.1 The electrical installation shall conform to BS 7671.
5.6.2 Electricity supplies to the boiler and any ancillary controls shall be installed in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions.
5.6.3 The point of connection to the mains electricity shall be readily accessible and the method of connection shall provide electrical isolation of the boiler and all ancillary electrical controls by either:
a) a double-pole switched fused connection unit; or
b) a fused three-pin plug and an unswitched shuttered socket outlet (refer to 5.3.5.4 if the boiler is going to be installed in a bathroom).

COMMENTARY AND RECOMMENDATIONS ON 5.6.3
The Institution of Electrical Engineers Electrician’s Guide to the Building Regulations [17] advises that a minimum of 300 mm should be allowed from the edge of kitchen sinks and draining boards to the boiler’s point of connection to the mains electricity to reduce the risk of being splashed.

' Advises ' ,,,, not regulation . I'm not suggesting that this isn't good advise or practice . In the real world though it isn't often achievable . A small kitchen , tall fridge / freezer ( 600 mm ) cooker ( 600 mm) , usually a window , often boiler ( pipework ) can be left with 1500mm or so to position say 4 sockets , cooker switch , f/spurs for w/m , f/f , programmer etc, this can be even more hazardous . Its another situation where professional judgement & risk assessment needs to be used .
If the Regulations are followed , it will be safe.
BTW Ive just switched the kettle on while washing the dishes ,,,,, 1200mm:rockon2: ,,,,,, & I lived

Some have seen this one before…
Sinks can be handy…

pott.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Boiler distance from kitchen sink in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock