Discuss Bath mixer issue in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
O

Old Account

Hello all looking for a little help.

I have this simple bath mixer and one issue is the hot is on the right hand site which I could change.

But the issue really is, the cold water pressure ( tank feed)is weak much weaker than the hot water.
The mixer does not mix it is either hot or its going to be cold. The mixer has been changed the second time and from a different plumber.

I took of the mixer and check the pressure but still not very stron though. Filter are clean.

Do you think by changing the hot to the left and cold to the right that the mixer will start mixing properly?

I cannot think of any other issue it does not seem that they have got an airlock...

I would appreciate to get an answer.
DSC_6069.jpg

Regards

Ron

Last edited by a moderator:
Is the cold mains or tank fed

Well assuming that the supplies to both sides are of the same size and fed from the same size tank, I would be checking that the tap is suitable for low pressure systems.

The pressure and flow should be about the same on the hot and cold if they are fed from the same cwt.
Only difference could be smaller pipes, small bore isolating valves, or half closed valves, or blockage somewhere.
Nothing much you can do other than check for above and perhaps get open ended flow from the bath pipes to see if flow from pipes is the problem, but that won't be easy

The pressure and flow should be about the same on the hot and cold if they are fed from the same cwt.
Only difference could be smaller pipes, small bore isolating valves, or half closed valves, or blockage somewhere.
Nothing much you can do other than check for above and perhaps get open ended flow from the bath pipes to see if flow from pipes is the problem, but that won't be easy

Thank you Best,

Thank you all for your help.

Thumbs up to you All guys !

My customer hasn't had a clue what he was talking about

I have to apologise after turning up to the job over there I had a proper inspection and the landlord hasn't got any hot water cylinder anymore.

It means hot water is heated via a combi boiler Worcester.

The mains water which enters the property has a long run of lead pipe I'd say ( 1/2" diameter that what it looks like ) ,

Under the bath I have seen the hot water is supplied with 22mm copper the cold water in the bathroom comes from the tank which is left over in the loft.
The cold water is connected with lead pipe...

Almost the whole house has either lead pipe or a little of steal

To sum up ":

Tank in attic which feeds the bathroom
Pipes are mostly lead
Combi boiler in the ground floor kitchen

So what I think is that the pressure will never be as good as the hot as the hot is supplied from the boiler which has a decent pressure , am I wrong ?

What's the alternative to solve the issue to get better pressure ?

Running a new mains ?
Disconnecting the tank ?
Connecting the bathroom to mains water ?

I'd appreciate for some advise

Kind regards,

Ron

Well take it the water mixers ok ish at bath filler but the shower head is the problem

As hot on mains pressure and cold on tank,would advise you link cold to bath to mains too,as hot completely cancelling out the cold
Take it the mains pressure is quite good,you could check at kitchen sink ,hopefully, as should cold should be on cold mains also there,if ok,you could remove tank and link pipework straight through,thus balancing hot and cold or you could just put bath cold supply on mains ,leaving other outlets on tank but if only one bathroom,probably not worth leaving tank in just for wc and hand basin
remember if you remove tank and link through,the wc ballvalve should be replaced or re washered

Good to see our uk plumbing is in sure capable hands :death:

It would be good to replace all the lead pipework and reduce the oversized copper pipework,left over from the tanks and cylinder days,but ooking at pic and your mention of ladlord,not much point probably going down that road......

Last edited by a moderator:
Well take it the water mixers ok ish at bath filler but the shower head is the problem

As hot on mains pressure and cold on tank,would advise you link cold to bath to mains too,as hot completely cancelling out the cold
Take it the mains pressure is quite good,you could check at kitchen sink ,hopefully, as should cold should be on cold mains also there,if ok,you could remove tank and link pipework straight through,thus balancing hot and cold or you could just put bath cold supply on mains ,leaving other outlets on tank but if only one bathroom,probably not worth leaving tank in just for wc and hand basin
remember if you remove tank and link through,the wc ballvalve should be replaced or re washered

Good to see our uk plumbing is in sure capable hands :death:

It would be good to replace all the lead pipework and reduce the oversized copper pipework,left over from the tanks and cylinder days,but ooking at pic and your mention of ladlord,not much point probably going down that road......

Thank you very much for your reply.

That's what I thought.

I would rather replace the mains incoming cold water supply and get rid of the tank in the loft and all the deal legs.

And connect the whole house on mains.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Bath mixer issue in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock