Search the forum,

Discuss Are these ugly pipes supposed to show so much? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Please can someone advise me?

The builder finished creating my new-build wetroom yesterday.

I was disappointed to see the water pipes so prominent and noticeable. So I looked online at similar installations and the water pipes never show in any photo, only the waste.

My questions are:

Has he made a mistake? If so, in what way?

If it's wrong, can it be put right?

Many thanks.

(PS don't be distracted by the tap not being above the basin, I swiveled it round.)

Attachments

• 2022-11-18 22.49.03.jpg
    2022-11-18 22.49.03.jpg
    335.3 KB · Views: 55
Unfortunately, fairly standard installation.
You could try and hide them by having the water connection closer to the bottom of the basin, but you will almost, always see them.

The pics you see online never have the water pipes connected or showing because - of your concerns, they look ugly.

Not a great choice of basin nor it's positioning, is that where the previous basin was installed ie. where the original water pipes exited the wall?

Last edited:
Not a great choice of basin nor it's positioning, is that where the previous basin was installed ie. where the original water pipes exited the wall

This is a new build. There was nothing there. They installed everything and had a free choice as to where it would all go.

I chose the basin as the room is so tiny.

How can we hide the water pipes now, please?

Yes sorry missed the new build bit just read new wetroom.

I don't have a lot of experience with these micro basins but given where the water pipes are exiting the wall and the waste outlet to avoid minimum disruption I'd pick a new basin with semi pedistal that is hopefully wide enough to cover everything. Otherwise it's a case of repostioning the pipe allowing it to be covered up.

Alternatively to follow on from ChrisB replace the flexi with chrome pipe and fittings which'll be more visually appealing or just box them in.

Last edited:
Agree with everything being said.

If you really want it to look cleaner, it can be done but will mean spending some money/disruption.

You could as has been said, elbow up out of the wall in chrome pipe and hopefully be able to hide the flex higher up.

You could remove basin/tiles open wall and move outlets high up. You might be able to hard pipe it and do away with the flexi.

You could possibly make a custom tiled skirt.

Yeah but Kop, nicely done but that's not really a micro basin. Trouble is they are generally so small you can't hide or tuck away diddly without some very careful planning.

I would not have minded the avalanche of photos posted in my thread if they were in any way related to my problem - but not one of them is relevant at all.
I don't have space for a pedestal or half pedestal.
There is no room to box in pipes, either.
My toilet/wetroom is only 3 ft x 4 ft and the basin is so close to the WC pan that my knee hits the waste pipe when I sit on the pan.
They can be improved on quite easily by removing the valves and fitting chrome elbows looking upwards the valves can then be refitted and the tap flexible connections attached, I'm afraid theres not much you can do about the trap other than move the basin over to allow you better access. Regards kop

How can we hide the water pipes now, please?
To actually hide them requires either
1) a semi pedestal
2) a wall hung vanity unit
3) a custom made “skirt”, which could be tiled to match in with the wall behind. This would need to be able to be removed for future maintenance.

To improve the look, but not completely hide the pipes.

Lot of work - bring pipes out of wall higher up and to left, maybe able to be hidden depending upon the shape of the ceramic where the basin meets the wall.

Less work - remove the isolating valves and replace them with chrome plated angled isolating valves. Then either have the flexi straight onto those or add a short length of chromed pipe first - decided on site by which looks best.

This last option is probably most expeditious in your circumstance.

To actually hide them requires either
1) a semi pedestal
2) a wall hung vanity unit
3) a custom made “skirt”, which could be tiled to match in with the wall behind. This would need to be able to be removed for future maintenance.

To improve the look, but not completely hide the pipes.

Lot of work - bring pipes out of wall higher up and to left, maybe able to be hidden depending upon the shape of the ceramic where the basin meets the wall.

Less work - remove the isolating valves and replace them with chrome plated angled isolating valves. Then either have the flexi straight onto those or add a short length of chromed pipe first - decided on site by which looks best.

This last option is probably most expeditious in your circumstance.
Thank you Ben.

The basin is so close to the WC pan that 1, 2 and 3 are impossible. I will copy and paste "lot of work" and "less work" to the builder.

There is also a problem with the floor which I will post about on a new thread.

Reply to Are these ugly pipes supposed to show so much? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock