Search the forum,

Discuss Advice on bathroom leak fix in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi

We recently moved into a property that is about 3yrs old.

Ever since we have used the shower we have had a leak that is showing by the wetness on the carpet in the adjoining room.

Having called in a plumber they have advised the water is coming through a gap where the tap is installed. The advice to resolve was to tighten the tap fitting and to do that would mean cutting a hole in the wall to be able to access the tap to tighten.

This seems overkill to me and also could mean it could loosen again and we are back to the same problem (even more annoying if we cut and then fix the wall, which we would need to do!)

My solution would either be just to use a sealant around the tap or a 'stop leak sealer' product (below is a temporary fix that seems to have done the job) thoughts?
Bathroom (1).JPEG
Bathroom (2).JPEG

All advice appreciated.

Thanks

By the looks of things, the plumber might be correct.

There is no other way to access the underside of that tap.
You also have no access to the flexi connectors to that tap.

Best option is to cut a hole in the wall behind the tap and leave an access panel in place.

If I did that sort of install, with the tap and connections being so inaccessible, it would leave me with dread.

What if you need to change the tap in the future?

By the looks of things, the plumber might be correct.

There is no other way to access the underside of that tap.
You also have no access to the flexi connectors to that tap.

Best option is to cut a hole in the wall behind the tap and leave an access panel in place.

If I did that sort of install, with the tap and connections being so inaccessible, it would leave me with dread.

What if you need to change the tap in the future?
good point re long term access... one to think about...

Re an access panel - how big would that need to be? looking at the photos... would the access panel impact the tiles in the bathroom in any way, or would a panel be just beneath the tiles (on the other side of the wall obviously)?
thanks

I had a very similar job last week but on a jacuzzi bath, also leaking from jet hose behind bath!
An access panel was my best solution too.
Customer wants to slide out bath to fix and then slide back but I said I couldn't quote for that as I couldn't guarantee I wouldn't break bath trying.

I sent him a bath catalogue to look through.

Hi. How much would it be to put in an access panel in a situation like mine? and what HEIGHT would the panel need to be i.e. on the wall behind the tap then would this impact the tiles in the bathroom as per my photo?
thanks

Obv hole would be under bath (I assume you have a door for access into bathroom already)
As for cost I'd probably want somewhere in region of £500 if it was a brick/block wall and about £250 if stud wall

The top of the access in the adjacent room would not need to be above the line of the bath, maybe 50 -75mm below so shouldn't affect the tiles.

If it was me doing it I'd cut a smaller hand sized hole lower down first to see what's behind under the bath, then cut higher to gain access to the tap fixing.
Presumably if it's a recent property the walls are only plasterboard partition or other none solid type.

It may be that the hole in the bath is bigger than the tap needs so it may need a large washer with a seal under to cover the gap something like the link, but the size of hole and tap would need to be checked first.
It may be that the tap came with such a washer but was never fitted.

You can buy access panels covers, for repeated access, hopefully not needed, or just screw a piece of plywood over the hole,,

https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/manthorpe-access-panel-white-243-x-193-x-16mm/20924

Obv hole would be under bath (I assume you have a door for access into bathroom already)
As for cost I'd probably want somewhere in region of £500 if it was a brick/block wall and about £250 if stud wall
yes i have a door for access to bathroom.
ok thanks for rough guidance - its a stud.
assumed it would be under tap but i did want confirmation i wasnt missing something - so thanks :)

The top of the access in the adjacent room would not need to be above the line of the bath, maybe 50 -75mm below so shouldn't affect the tiles.

If it was me doing it I'd cut a smaller hand sized hole lower down first to see what's behind under the bath, then cut higher to gain access to the tap fixing.
Presumably if it's a recent property the walls are only plasterboard partition or other none solid type.

It may be that the hole in the bath is bigger than the tap needs so it may need a large washer with a seal under to cover the gap something like the link, but the size of hole and tap would need to be checked first.
It may be that the tap came with such a washer but was never fitted.

You can buy access panels covers, for repeated access, hopefully not needed, or just screw a piece of plywood over the hole,,
thanks for those tips and your efforts to send links.

yes it is a new build, so plaster board.

will take those thoughts on board.

Reply to Advice on bathroom leak fix in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock