Discuss adding a radiator to a central heating system in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

steh

hi, My sister has converted her garage into a dining room and needs to fit a radiator in there. The closest pipe work is located in an upstairs bedroom which is 10 mm pipe connecting to a radiator which connected from 15mm pipework. my question is in two parts, can i feed the new rad from 10mm that is connected to upstairs rad or does it have to be connected from 15mm pipe and secondly can i used 15mm pipe to new rad whichever pipe I connect from,regards ste

i'd connect onto the 15mm, it'll give you a better flow tho the 10mm could work, maybe..

must be connected to 15mm pipe.

I went to a house where they had 2 rads connected to one 10mm pipe and only one rad came on at a time, so had to swap from one to other. If you wanted kitchen rad on then you would have to turn garage one off and visa, versa.

Not sure if you could run 15mm from the 15mm pipe to rad, would be best to do in 10mm as rest of system is in 10mm, however all depends on how many rads you have, type of boiler, i.e.

he said his 10mm comes from the 15mm pipe there. so like you've said he's best off running off the 15mm to aid flow..

tho i have connected another rad off 10mm pipe before and its been ok.. it all depends doesnt it..

he said his 10mm comes from the 15mm pipe there. so like you've said he's best off running off the 15mm to aid flow..

tho i have connected another rad off 10mm pipe before and its been ok.. it all depends doesnt it..

yeah does depend on amount of radiators really as the pump can only pump at a certain speed.

But what should he run to the new radiator? from the 15mm pipe to the new radiator?

15mm or 10mm?

Last edited by a moderator:
best would be 15mm, im just saying he could maybe get away with 10mm if the new rad was awkward to pipe up

thanks guys for your help will probrobly connect 15mm to rad from 15mm

must be connected to 15mm pipe.

Not sure if you could run 15mm from the 15mm pipe to rad, would be best to do in 10mm as rest of system is in 10mm,.

i agree with the first part, connection should be to the 15mm if its possible. however using 10mm to the rad just cos the other rads do is not really necessary. 15mm will give better flow to the rad which will help in situations where the circuit is approaching the max that the pump can cope with. absolutely no reason why it shouldn't be 15mm it just will need balancing.

best option is the 15mm, the 10mm may work but may not, depneds on size of rads which depends on size of room

make sure you take one from flow and one from return

If using the 10mm also need to consider length of run and amount of bends etc,

in an ideal world i would connect onto the 15mm but if i had to connect into the 10mm i would(done it the other day when ran out of pipe so tee'd off radiator although they were back to back and cranked lockshield down to barely open on both)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to adding a radiator to a central heating system in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock