Discuss 5 storey townhouse system design in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bazm

Hi all,

I have just bought a 5 storey, grade A listed townhouse to renovate. It is currently used as offices and has a large boiler which is quite old with thin radiators with no thermostats in each room. I will be upgrading the full system and the house will have a bathroom with shower on each level. I hope to use the existing pipework and just relocate new radiators to different positions in each room. I know very little about plumbing and will be getting a plumber to do the job but i would like to get advice and some understanding on the following,

1. Boiler replacement - 1 or 2 boilers? Any recommendations on what to get?
2. Any advice on which radiators to get?
3. Is electric underfloor heating a good idea for the bathrooms?
4. Anything else that will help my understanding!

The boiler is located in a mezzanine room just above the ground floor but I do not know if there is a water tank.

cheers

The size of the rooms would be helpful in determining a rough guide to which type of system and layout to go with. Do you have details of the room sizes?

just get several quotes in and make sure you ask for similar specs to be able to compare pricing. Not sure what a grade A lisiting is, normally its grade 1 - 2 . So that will affect what you can do so youll have to work with the heritage officer in the council as a minimum or english heritage themselves, good luck there!! boiler wise, depends on size of property and what your looking to achieve.

hard to say without room sizes double or single glazing number of outside walls, current gas meter size incoming water main size, pressure and flow rates. then building layout joist depths etc. electric underfloor heating is alright but can be costly to run. in short its probably best to get someone in to check these first and run through your needs and see what system will suite yoour needs where are you in the world as there may be one of us near by that would be able able to come and run through everything and provide you with a quote.

Rip the lot out and have proper underfloor installed on every floor. You'll probably need a commercial grade boiler if the property is very large, or you can cascade two or more together to create same output (or even have individual boilers for different heating zones) I believe it's usually exterior works that are most limiting on listed buildings (no cables, plastic pipes outside etc)

I assume you've had clearance for change from commercial to residential use on the property?

Electric underfloor is rubbish for anything other than warming tiles IMO

Grade A listing is the Scottish equivalent to grade 1. Rough room dimensions are,

3 largest rooms 5 metres wide by 8 metres long.
4 rooms 5 metres wide by 6 metres long
6 rooms 3 metres wide by 5 metres long

Overall square footage is 6050 split pretty much evenly over the floors although the attic is slightly smaller.

before you go ripping up floors etc talk to heritage folks! interiors are very much part of listings!!!, sounds big so take proper advice from local plumbers as well as seeing whats said here. re elec uf, waste of time and fails!!!

Yes I have change of use granted. Would fitting a full underfloor system be a lot more expensive than replacing radiators? The property is in glasgow. I have the floorplans but unsure how to load them up?

Yes it would, but if youre doing a full renovation, it's worth it.

just get several quotes in and make sure you ask for similar specs to be able to compare pricing. Not sure what a grade A lisiting is, normally its grade 1 - 2 . So that will affect what you can do so youll have to work with the heritage officer in the council as a minimum or english heritage themselves, good luck there!! boiler wise, depends on size of property and what your looking to achieve.
I fitted new windows to a grade 2 listed house recently with my old man and they had to be single pane on the front but could have double on the rear. Graded buildings can be a pain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to 5 storey townhouse system design in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock