Search the forum,

Discuss 2 port wiring question in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

jonnyswamp

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Haven't been on for quite a while, but have a question for greater minds than mine
Have an unvented to change which is currently controlled by a 3 port, will be fitting a 2 port to the flow when cylinder is changed
Apart from changing to S plan (which isn't really an option) how do I wire the 2 port into the existing 10 way and hi limit stat
Gracias in advance
BTW I am G3, don't know why I can't access that part of the forum, did send my details previously

In short just wire it to the cylinder stat

Live to the cylinder stat
Port valve brown on the outlet / call side

Can't do that. If you put the Brown wire to the call side of the Cylinder Stat, as the cylinder stat is used to fire the boiler directly on a 3 port whenever there is a demand at the S/L for the boiler the 2 port MV will open regardless of whether the cylinder stat is open or closed. Completely defeating the object.

Can't do that. If you put the Brown wire to the call side of the Cylinder Stat, as the cylinder stat is used to fire the boiler directly on a 3 port whenever there is a demand at the S/L for the boiler the 2 MV will open regardless of whether the cylinder stat is open or closed.

cylinder stat wouldnt be used to fire the boiler with a 3 port as you wouldn't have a a sat port

Last edited:
cylinder stat wouldnt be used to fire the boiler with a 3 port as you wouldn't have a a sat port
Thats my point, it goes straight to the boiler S/L. So when the Orange wire becomes Live on the 3 port the Cylinder stat wire becomes live. Usually this wouldn't matter as your cylinder stat would be open or closed, but as you've wired the 2 port in after this contact it'll back feed and open the 2 port valve whenever there's 240v on your orange wire from the 3 port.

Thats my point, it goes straight to the boiler S/L. So when the Orange wire becomes Live on the 3 port the Cylinder stat wire becomes live. Usually this wouldn't matter as your cylinder stat would be open or closed, but as you've wired the 2 port in after this contact it'll back feed and open the 2 port valve whenever there's 240v on your orange wire from the 3 port.

how as the stat would get wired into perm live

i dont get what your saying

perm live to unv stat
brown of two port to call of stat

and rewire the 3 port to get rid of the old gravity stat and use it on the timer

so how would the port valve get backfed

how as the stat would get wired into perm live

i dont get what your saying

perm live to unv stat
brown of two port to call of stat

and rewire the 3 port to get rid of the old gravity stat and use it on the timer
I don't get what you're saying either?

So you've now got no temperature control with your clock, other than the 2 port MV shuts when the cylinder reaches temperature. So when the customer leaves the timer on 24/7, what's shutting the boiler down when the cylinder reaches temperature? As from what you've said the 2 Port MV is just wired into the cylinder stat that has a Perm live and isn't doing any boiler control with it's microswitch.

I don't get what you're saying either?

So you've now got no temperature control with your clock, other than the 2 port MV shuts when the cylinder reaches temperature. So when the customer leaves the timer on 24/7, what's shutting the boiler down when the cylinder reaches temperature? As from what you've said the 2 Port MV is just wired into the cylinder stat that has a Perm live and isn't doing any boiler control with it's microswitch.

correct as most dont have any sat ports on your unvented cylinder stat so you cant control them like that

thats why they always recommend to upgrade to an s plan

you could install a 28mm port valve and use the white wire as satisfied eg powered when closed

correct as most dont have any sat ports on your unvented cylinder stat so you cant control them like that

thats why they always recommend to upgrade to an s plan

you could install a 28mm port valve and use the white wire as satisfied eg powered when closed
Every unvented cylinder stat I’ve come across has a satisfied port. Even on the Megaflo/OSO inbuilt stats do.

The way your suggesting to me wouldn’t meet any energy efficiency regs at all. As the boiler could be firing with no demand needed from the cylinder.

I do agree though trying to use a 3 port with a 2 port is daft. It’s better to convert to a S plan system.

Every unvented cylinder stat I’ve come across has a satisfied port. Even on the Megaflo/OSO inbuilt stats do.

The way your suggesting to me wouldn’t meet any energy efficiency regs at all. As the boiler could be firing with no demand needed from the cylinder.

I do agree though trying to use a 3 port with a 2 port is daft. It’s better to convert to a S plan system.

last mega flow and gledhill 300-400l didnt the stats had no ports (as any stat does) but not wired up

havent fitted an oso so cant comment

Here's the diagram you need.

Y Paln with 2 Port.png

Reply to 2 port wiring question in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock