Discuss 2 Keston C40's in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Amazing Plumber Brains!!!

I have 2 Keston C40's about to be commissioned (YEs I Know. BUt its a massive story i'm not going into).

I've been told horror stories about the cost of Keston C40's;So here's my questions:

1: ;What is the minimum cost to keep one going for an hour?
2: ;What is the maximum cost to keep one going per hour ?
3: ;If the standby is sitting there, does it have a cost to keep it going per hour ?
3: ;Is it wise to go for the largest cylinder possible?  

House its going into is, Kestons on ground floor and Cylinders on ground floor.

1 Kitchen, 22 radiators 8 bedrooms 7 bathrooms 1 flat of bedroom/kitchen/bathroom (3 rooms)
Also possible addition a top loft room which is capable of holding 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms (not yet).

I have zero money, and i'm only renovating this house because i have no choice, so using brass buttons to get it running.

I think replacing the kestons with a new system may not be a good idea, i have been given a cost of £4200 to commission the kestons including 2 300litre cylinders and to repair the piping where the thieves stole it.

I'm not asking about the price being fair, i'm just wondering if someone has a view of if the kestons dont work, what is the most financially best solution i can do and is there anything i can do for 4200 if i have to replace the kestons ?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Mike

Heat pumps, unvented, loads of demand, not very good boilers,more than 3 bedrooms, large property I am not insinuating (no malice) but this is a job for a professional

you are right, it does need a professional. i'm not touching anything myself. the good thing out of this appears, i have fromt he low loss header, something that works. the boilers, yes, very suspect, but for now, if they work it'll do. if they dont, i thing atags or valliant. i have to wait and see what i can get., but now, i dont want any more money than is critically needed to get people renting rooms. blame the plumber who went into prison and stole the equipment,a nd the thieves, who stoll the copper piping, and the 'manager' who spent the othe rmoney that was left.... i've come back a few years from my breakdown to stand up and face this task . i'm not baulking at it, but i have to do what i can with the minimum i have. if the kestons fire into life (even 1 of them), my budget remains intact and I can actually for a while celebarte, as it gets me over the hurdle of making the house 'liveable'. i earn money at a good rate, but not enough for now, a years time i can afford a new boiler, but not now.. although i have not yet costed the furnishing of the place yet.

Fingers cross, and I'm really hoping it will work. although my bank did call me yesterday to ask if everything was ok (they seen my bank balances plunge).

No good news yet. I have to wait till monday to see if the gas goes in, and then we see if the Kestons work after that. But there are now choices, 2 Atags an AMV, I have choices if it doesn't work. One more question I have... Is it possible to 'Modulate' a Keston C40? i can't find anything that says the questions will work other than at 100% ?
But over the next two weeks, I got quite a few choices. ACV Headmaster (there are 5 on eBay, 3 Atags, one Ideal 75w, all at respectable costs. Any one got view on the ACV Heatmaster (it has a 600l tank inside it too).

Worcester 162 or atag tbh

Good Morning - Flue's for Keston C40. Where can I get them from ? I have the flu bits up to the 2inches sticking out of the top with hte grills on. I need now to extend them sothey go outside. They are 75mm wide. The keston docs say 'marley', can someone tell me where I can get the 4 flue's (2 boilers) from please ?
Finally for the humour of you plumbers. I do have the cylinders as well. and the pipework in the house is done. \
The plumber who was goign to work on it, is very ill so i'm still looking for a plumber and its november. I have all the parts for everything I believe now, I just need 1) Gas Registered person, and 2), plumb er to connect the cylinders to the boilers and the pipework. (Suffolk/Leiston/IP16.

Good Morning - Flue's for Keston C40. Where can I get them from ? I have the flu bits up to the 2inches sticking out of the top with hte grills on. I need now to extend them sothey go outside. They are 75mm wide. The keston docs say 'marley', can someone tell me where I can get the 4 flue's (2 boilers) from please ?
Finally for the humour of you plumbers. I do have the cylinders as well. and the pipework in the house is done. \
The plumber who was goign to work on it, is very ill so i'm still looking for a plumber and its november. I have all the parts for everything I believe now, I just need 1) Gas Registered person, and 2), plumb er to connect the cylinders to the boilers and the pipework. (Suffolk/Leiston/IP16.

White waste pipe. That was one thing Kestons made a big point of when they came out that you could use ordinary plastic drain pipe for flues. Did a commercial job in an old folks home with 100mm grey soil pipe.

Hi, can someone tell me where I can get flues for the keston c40's, i been told they 50mm. i need 4, and they need to just go directly out the same wall the frame the kestons are connected to . So I dont think more than a few inches is required.

any pointers greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Michael

Oh - Re Plumbers.... They say they come in 3's.... Today I now have 3 called all saying they can start tuesday (odd!). but I'm happy. They just asked me to get the flues, so they can come in and do everything straight way unless they get it, but they said they would do it cost.

you are right, it does need a professional.

blame the plumber who went into prison and stole the equipment,a nd the thieves, who stoll the copper piping, and the 'manager' who spent the othe rmoney that was left.... i've come back a few years from my breakdown to stand up and face this task .

Fingers cross, and I'm really hoping it will work. (they seen my bank balances plunge).

So the plumber went to prison, then stole the equipment while he was in there? Schocking.
As for the 50mm 'flue pipe', you can get them from any plumbers merchants. Just go in and ask for 50mm waste pipe. But to be honest, why not let the plumber you select to do the job buy it? You say they have all agreed to supply it at 'cost', so what have you got to loose?

We're getting there.

my friend has got the heating working without the boilers, tested all the cold, hot tap water to all taps (by heating a cylinder with its heating element) and has put a separate cold feed through the central heating (separate cold from the cylinder cold of course) and heating pipes. Using just the low loss, cylinders and we have now mains, cold, hot water to taps, and cold water heating (yes, it tests the water), so now we have proven all pipework is fine (where builders hadnt screwed screws through the pipework, and radiators had not been put on properly.). We have left one cylinder on heating the hot water in taps, so bingo we have showers and baths and taps all hot.

So the next piece of this saga is now that my friend is now looking at how to wire up the the 2 c40's with the cylinders and low loss header, he says everything all there now. (i've bought everything). All pipework now we understand and now we are looking at wiring it up.

Does anyone know of any 'diagrams', other than in the installation and servicing instructions on setting up the c40's together?. I'd like to see if there is even someone who has either in suffolk/essex/london/kent/surrey (I can get to any of these places) to come and see an already installed setup that we can look at as a reference point or would be patient enough to tell us on the phone or over a beer how to set it up?

My friend is pretty confident that everything will work and is completent with normal systems but this is quite a big installation for him and needs advice on how it all fits together. Once all done we will get the gas engineer to complete his task.

S plan

image.jpg

Been a while... but thank you for the S plan. We now have both keston c40's working and i got a spare one i collected yesterday for spare parts.... we now have hot water and central heating. although the central heating is not heating the whole house. we are pressure testing and cleaning the pipes and radiators. as a few of the downstairs radiators are 'black' inside.

so now we looking for a decent coupel of pumps for the 40mm central heating and the 2 zones for the hot water.

Been a while... but thank you for the S plan. We now have both keston c40's working and i got a spare one i collected yesterday for spare parts.... we now have hot water and central heating. although the central heating is not heating the whole house. we are pressure testing and cleaning the pipes and radiators. as a few of the downstairs radiators are 'black' inside.

so now we looking for a decent coupel of pumps for the 40mm central heating and the 2 zones for the hot water.

Have a look at dab

Also FYI you can't repair any gas appliances unless your gas safe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to 2 Keston C40's in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back