Search the forum,

Discuss 2 jobs i didnt get in the last month in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Barry98

OK i might not of been the cheapest BUT photo2.jpgphoto.JPG

It's frightening what people will do to save a few quid. Unfortunately as long as there are engineers out there that are willing to cut corners, work will always be lost.

The thing is when people use pillocks like these, is that there are bound to be more faults inside the property that you can't see. But you get what you pay for and these customers will only be forking out again for a new boiler years before they should do.

think its touched a nerve today , lost my main contract , theye gone with one firm who can do all gas,elec,ac but hey hoo it happens

think its touched a nerve today , lost my main contract , theye gone with one firm who can do all gas,elec,ac but hey hoo it happens

Gutted for you mate. But in my experience these firms that do everything, promise the earth and very rarely deliver. I've worked for a firm like that and they just don't have the time to concentrate in just one area then they end up failing.

If a firm like yourself, who just does the plumbing and heating maintenance, has contracts like that you can focus your efforts solely on what you know.

These places that use these "all singing, all dancing" firms eventually realise that its better to have different firms doing different jobs, it may be more expensive for them, but atleast the job gets done right.

I'm glad it's not just me who has a look to see iff it's been done, and how well. It's very easy to wind yourself up.

I think loyalty went out the window as soon as the recession started and money got tight. If it were me, I would post an anonymous letter through the door stating the faults and possible problems that could arise.

This MAY worry the custard enough to call the installer back which will serve him right, causing him some grief and maybe making you feel better.

Failing that, use a freeze kit on that poor condensate, that will get em back :)

Regarding the two jobs you've lost this month, forget em. Have one of those orrible Stella's. The contract things a bummer though, have two Stella's.

2 ? im on my fourth already . best bit is her indoors just collared me . another holiday booked in may couples trip to ibiza all women have sorted it over weekend confirmed this morning . all blokes are lik wtf ?

at least three of my regular boiler services went to bg for new boilers last yr not one asked for a quote!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and none of the boilers were particularly bad or in need of replacement.

this is the scenario where we need to be able to contact gsr about why should we be undercut by people doing jobs that are at best ncs and probably worse if you could see inside any one who leaves work like that on show probably hasnt filled in the paperwork no flush or inhibitor no stat no trvs

A gsr guy near me is subbing to builders for 12.50 per hour wtf ,i know times are hard but come on how can he cover his costs.

Daft! I priced a heating job and got it, but I was £750 more than the cheap quote. And I don't think I'm that deer.

I think loyalty went out the window as soon as the recession started and money got tight. If it were me, I would post an anonymous letter through the door stating the faults and possible problems that could arise.

This MAY worry the custard enough to call the installer back which will serve him right, causing him some grief and maybe making you feel better.

Failing that, use a freeze kit on that poor condensate, that will get em back :)

Thats actually not a bad idea.

You could set up another website and email address for correspondence.

Have some report form type stationery printed and if you see something,write a brief report and mail drop it.

If everyone did it it would have a few effects..

1)Rubbish installers would take some heat..
2)You would likely benefit from some remedial work

Remember,,those Nigerian scamsters send out thousands of letters and emails and get a good return rate so this could be a new income stream.

A bit back we didnt have much work on, got chance to do a boiler in a shop. It meant starting Sat afternoon 3pm ish and finishing it Sunday. It wasnt just a straight forward swap however they would supply all materials and we put a price in at £500 labour, not steep but not over the top. We lost it to a chap who would do it for £200.

eon are paying approx £150 (£130 to direct labour) for bbu to combi on a job i know of. id rather drink my own......... well you get the idea :)

eon are paying approx £150 (£130 to direct labour) for bbu to combi on a job i know of. id rather drink my own......... well you get the idea :)

I got offered £45 per boiler (second fix, site work) hang Jig & boiler, connect relevant pipe work, core hole & make good.
Quite frankly I would rather have eaten my own liver.

And 130 quid for a bbu to combi. I can make plenty more sailing around in my van all day doing a bit servicing

Damn those figure are boiling my p i s s!

Last edited:
I got offered £45 per boiler (second fix, site work) hang Jig & boiler, connect relevant pipe work, core hole & make good.

And 130 quid for a bbu to combi. I can make plenty more sailing around in my van all day doing a bit servicing

That is a **** take that !!!

I got offered alot of conversions, Y Plans to combis, 45 min drive

£170, no extra's for know

Thanks but no thanks

I agree £130.00 for bbu to combi is far to low.
But would like to add I made a good living for 12 years on new build being paid on price work and boilers where £45.00 when I left.I first started new build work in 1996 I was paye supplied me with van diesel training average holiday pay and earnings related pension.in my first year I doubled my wages from £270.00 a week that I was paid by my previous company to £540.00 a week in my last five years on new builds the lowest I was paid a year was £42,000 and my best year was £52,000 no weekends 40 hours a week 2 hours paper work at home.the company was sold change of management and new building slowed down and they where my reasons for starting my own company.i would not go back to new build but at the time it was good and will be good again in the future (I would not put any one off working on new builds you can get very quick if you give it time )i also think if i had started my own business in my mid 20s I possibly would have failed with all the paper work quotes invoices ect. but I would say only use it as a stepping stone in your career was good for me but I previously worked and did my apprenticeship with a very good company and some really good chaps where quality was a must but wages basic.training for apprentices on new build is not to good.drawbacks are work is the same day in day out you will get no maintenance or brake down experience but you do learn to work fast and how to put in full systems. we always did a good job so had the pick of the best sites and loca.l but some gangs got paid more as they worked faster but there work was crap.if I was in my 20s and sites where busy I would do it all again no regrets.

Most of the new build work I've seen is absolutely shocking, wonky pipes, hardly any clips. It's all about speed, because there no recommendations or referral issues. Obviously your one of the rare ones Lee.

Most of the new build work I've seen is absolutely shocking, wonky pipes, hardly any clips. It's all about speed, because there no recommendations or referral issues. Obviously your one of the rare ones Lee.

There was about 70 plumbers on the new build company and you are correct shocking work man ship. I had the chance a no of times to go direct to house builders and tender for sites but did not as getting good labour is hard only 10 per cent where any good and that's bad odds.

I try to sta away from new builds, most sites thesedays are badly run, you get constanly let down in some way..

The last site I worked on, timber frame bungalows

Six Rad CH System, Bathroom, Kitchen Sink and Hob - was getting £250 first fix, £550 second fix

you could easily do 1 1/2 first fix a day

There was about 70 plumbers on the new build company and you are correct shocking work man ship. I had the chance a no of times to go direct to house builders and tender for sites but did not as getting good labour is hard only 10 per cent where any good and that's bad odds.

I try to sta away from new builds, most sites thesedays are badly run, you get constanly let down in some way..

Six Rad CH System, Bathroom, Kitchen Sink and Hob - was getting £250 first fix, £550 second fix

Still a lot more than a lot of day work lads working for company's.
I never seen the price list when I started for the new build company as I agreed a fixed weekly wage for 3 months then started on price if I had started on price on day one possible would not have stuck it out and when you look at the prices on paper there shocking and I seen so many lads not even last a week you have to give it time. lads that have done site work will know how fast you can get. lads that have not just think we make it up.

Still a lot more than a lot of day work lads working for company's.
I never seen the price list when I started for the new build company as I agreed a fixed weekly wage for 3 months then started on price if I had started on price on day one possible would not have stuck it out and when you look at the prices on paper there shocking and I seen so many lads not even last a week you have to give it time. lads that have done site work will know how fast you can get. lads that have not just think we make it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to 2 jobs i didnt get in the last month in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

IS IT POSSIBLE TO ADJUST THIS MIXER UNIT? WE HAVE TO HAVE IT TURNED ALMOST FULLY ANTI CLOCKWISE TO GET HOT WATEROUT. THE FRONT PLATE WITH MIRA ON IT PRISES OFF AND INSIDE THERE ARE SOME PLASTIC BITS AND A SMALL CROSS-HEAD SCREW IN THE MIDDLE. THANKS
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock