Currently reading:
100KW gas boiler for domestic install!

Discuss 100KW gas boiler for domestic install! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

infromthecold

Hi All

New member and first post.

I'm not in the trade so hoping folks on here with all the knowledge can assist.

Got 5 bed detached Victorian house that has no central heating so in process of getting boiler and rads spec'd.

Have been told that will need a 100kw boiler and that this boiler will need a a larger gas supply pipe even though there is 22mm already.
Was hoping for a combi as there is only one bathroom with shower over bath.
Room sizes (in metres) are listed below, All double glazed with solid walls but I calculate heat requirement at 25KW so where the 100KW comes from I have no idea hence this post. All the on-line calculators I have used are all coming in around 25 - 26 KW for heating.

Hope someone can help or offer advice. I would think 100KW is large enough for a school or factory or a 5 bed with 14/15 rads.

Cheers

Room H, W, D
Living Room 3.1, 5.49, 4.88
Sitting Room 3.1, 4.22, 3.91
Dining Room 3.1, 3.23, 3.12
Kitchen 3.1, 5.18, 4.47
Bed 1 3.1, 4.42, 3.2
Bed 2 3.1, 4.42, 2.29
Bed 3 3.1, 7.21, 3.56
Bed 4 3.1, 3.86, 3.23
Bed 5 3.1, 4.27, 4.11
Bath 3.1, 4.42, 3

LOL! Thanks. Now you see why I need a bigger van.

It's not just my work. The guys I work with are brilliant, and know their stuff inside out.

OK, this might not be helpful, but here's some laymans terms

Victorian, converted train station. New boiler (30KW)

View attachment 10687

View attachment 10688
Very large (modern) country house. 70KW (Two, sequenced, low loss header and zoned).

View attachment 10689
Tudor house, large - 45/50 KW (single boiler, zoned)

View attachment 10690Internal, of tudor house, showing the manifold and zones.
View attachment 10691
1970's (ultra modern for the time) house. Two cascaded boilers, on a low loss header. With an additional boiler for the pool. Can't remember sizes, but no where near 100KW. Think about 50KW in total, but split over two boilers and sequenced to reduce wear and tear.

I know these are just photos but it shows you what 100KW's is in laymans terms.
not bad for a monday what you got on tommorrow ?

100kw is massive, can't imagine you'd need that size! I wouldn't want to go for a combi with that size house mind. Unvented system would do the job!

was it this one,:oops: Is some one else getting kw and btu mixed up again hopefully they will not get as far as hanging it to the wall.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 92
haha nice pic, where do people get theese figures from, with a larger house with system boilers i'd watch the expansion vessel, we normally fit heat only boilers for larger properties, that being one of the reasons.
See my pics for examples aswell.

Right I have been to house and measured the rads. All are Quinn double convector details listed below. Need 34KW to drive the rads so not 100KW. Can anyone recommend a boiler with correct capacity?

Cheers

Rad SizePowerNumberTotal
1800x600349713497
1400x6002720616320
1200x600233236996
1100x600213712137
1000x600194311943
800x600155411554
700x600136011360

Right I have been to house and measured the rads. All are Quinn double convector details listed below. Need 34KW to drive the rads so not 100KW. Can anyone recommend a boiler with correct capacity?

Cheers

Rad SizePowerNumberTotal
1800x600349713497
1400x6002720616320
1200x600233236996
1100x600213712137
1000x600194311943
800x600155411554
700x600136011360

Advertise on the section of the forum saying I'm looking for gas engineer/plumber wanted. [DLMURL="http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/im-looking-plumber-gas-engineer/"]http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/im-looking-plumber-gas-engineer/[/DLMURL][/B] and get a decent guy down . bin the current guy.

I spoke to engineer today to say about 34kw load so why such a large boiler and he said he had a TSM from Worcester attending site tomorrow. I didn't know they had such a service so I called Worcester and they do indeed have such a service. I spoke to technical pre-sales asking for an opinion or insight and they said they couldn't give definite answers without seeing everything.

One thing they did mention is heat loss in the pipe work if the lengths are long.

Can this be so bad that it needs a lot of extra power in the boiler to compensate?

Do all the rads go on one loop?

Any insight or suggestions gratefully appreciated.

Cheers

You will only need a 100kw boiler if you intend to turn the house into a marajuana factory to supply your whole town
Get someone else in to suss it out, very rule of thumb is 2.5-3.5 kw per room ( this allows for variables of room size) as a quick calculation, so a 100kw will do about 30 rooms haha
As suggested go with a system boiler and unvented cylinder you won't regret it

How come you two seem to be experts in growing weed?

No wonder you're both such chilled characters. Roll us a duuuuuby!! LOL.

I've never tried it, but I've been in 100's of houses where they were smoking it, and one many years ago in a multi storey flat in Glasgow which we got called out to in the middle of the night flooding flats below, police got called to attend for forced entry and the whole flat was full of ants, with a 10" gap path to walk round the whole place, the heat lamps were rigged of the power for the lift and the temp was sky high, as soon as the joiner opened the door the smell hit us and the cop radio 'd in for the drug squad, brilliant engineering and workmanship to set it up haha
Don't mention the Lambo it's away back and now I'm bored and invisible I'm my XF Jaguar haha

Well I'm not getting into the thorny subjects of drugs, and what we've tried or haven't.

Suffice to say that a nice cold beer is the only inebriation I like. Or scotch, or brandy, or wine, turps.....the list goes on!!

But you don't know if the radiators are correctly sized?

Use the Whole House Boiler Size Calculator to find out what size boiler is required.

It does not matter if the radiators add up to more; it just means they can run at a lower temperature.

But you don't know if the radiators are correctly sized?

Use the Whole House Boiler Size Calculator to find out what size boiler is required.

It does not matter if the radiators add up to more; it just means they can run at a lower temperature.

Worked out what house requires previously and size, volume and construction need 32kw. Rads output 34kw.

Worcester TSM has been to house today to talk to engineer and he has said it needs a 65KW boiler and a U16. I am trying to get the contact details for the worcester TSM so he can explain his thinking.

Worked out what house requires previously and size, volume and construction need 32kw. Rads output 34kw.

Worcester TSM has been to house today to talk to engineer and he has said it needs a 65KW boiler and a U16. I am trying to get the contact details for the worcester TSM so he can explain his thinking.

What the hell?

I implore you, please get another heating engineer round. This stinks. Even if you do it on a Saturday and just pay him to specify the system for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to 100KW gas boiler for domestic install! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock