Search the forum,

Discuss Woodburner connecting to an existing back boiler? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Louise Wray

Hi there... I have just bought a lovely wood stove from the 1930's, (France or Belgium), it's totally reconditioned and ready to go, but I know nothing else about it!
We have an open fire with a back boiler and would like to replace it with the stove, but if possible, keep the back boiler, as we find it useful, not to heat the whole house, but more to top up hot water.
My plumber has not had much to do with fitting woodstoves, so couldn't really help. We will of course use a professional but just need to know at this point if it's actually possible?!
Many Thanks in advance for your help.. but please keep the technical jargon at a minimum, I'm a Yoga teacher, not a plumber!!
Louise

Last edited by a moderator:
You can't use the back boiler from the open fire but if the stove has an integral boiler then it's possible to connect to existing system.

You can't use the back boiler from the open fire but if the stove has an integral boiler then it's possible to connect to existing system.

Totally agree old back boiler must
Come out

HI Louise, do you mean Franco-Belge, These boilers are still available. You need to find out what the potential output of the boiler is. Too large a boiler with too small a heating load will mean the thing will just tarr up your flue. Your open fire will may just do hot water. However, if it has radiators as well it will be a high output boiler. Your plumber will determine the difference. You can also get help from HETAS who are similar to the organisation for gas (GAS SAFE or formally Corgi).
HETAS only deal with Solid fuel units. Look their site up on the internet. Google HETAS. Solid fuel stoves should only be fitted by a HETAS registered plumber/htg eng.
PS you may need toohave your chimney relined for the stove to work at its best.
Good Luck , Plumbo2

an appliance using one form of fuel(wood) can not share the same flue if another appliance using different form of fuel(Natural gas).

hello and welcome, may be better posting this somewhere else on the forum?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Woodburner connecting to an existing back boiler? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

P
  • Question
Boiler is SIRIUS THREE FS 70 Potterton commercial. Situation: We are small building contractors and my labourers managed to damage the radiator...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock