Discuss why it's important to check vents in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blake

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Asked to carry out gas check on a property with a back boiler. The boiler was heavily sooted and landlord admitted it had not been checked for 2 years. After carrying out checks on the boiler which were ok, I then turned my attention to ventilation and this it what I found:

IMAG0032.jpgIMAG0034.jpgIMAG0033.jpg

but they were cold and drafty ,and then when the room was all nice and warm they all fell asleep and never regained conciousness find this all the time with tenants some go to quite imaginably lengths, cling film,clear perspex etc all you can do is remove it and always mark it down on the cert as i am sure you do

I'm used to cling film, cellotape etc but this duvet was chuffing massive! Must have taken some stuffing in :)

You have to store blankets somewhere!

Good job you looked properly!

i had one stuff blue take into every vent on a black hole took some removing,my big gripe is with sky installers shoving sat cables trough them but to be fair to sky they make them come back to alter them

they went to some effort on getting that duvet in there! I had one where the customer had taped a envelope over it, after taking that off I discovered a friend of their family had put a security camera in for them and put his wire through there but didn't know what to do with the miles of extra cable so had balled it up in the vent completly blocking it!

Dish washing scourers--that's been the oddest one I've found in a vent.

used to love finding newspaper scrunched up in the vent, then when you remove it and say "i will just chuck this in the wheely bin" they say they will do it later , we both know fine well its going straight back in the vent when i leave, i ALWAYS mark on the CP1 "removed newspaper blocking vent and advised customer not to re block it", imagine the same newspaper going back in (which is dated, obviously) then 3 months after your service they did of CO poisoining, "we" check the vent and find a paper dated long before your service, how would you prove you had removed it, thats why i always mark it on cert that i have removed a blockage, so that if there is a future prob i have marked down removed and advised, i remember donks ago a QA pulling me for a blocked vent that i had missed, i knew i had checked it, so when we did a joint visit, the newspaper was still on the floor beside the vent, it was dated after my service visit, so the tenant had to admit they had blocked it after i had left, originally they had said i couldnt have checked it as they had not blocked it, muppets could have got me the sack, thats why i always write everything down, even if i rectify something, its good to have a record for the future

I just ID the appliance and cut it off if its a fire then tell the landlord to put in an electric fire, that way they dont have dead tenants and i dont get called as a witness at the coroners court. works for me, land lord relatively happy, no land lord check each year and I wont get called up in front of the beak. may lose a few quid, but at least I sleep easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to why it's important to check vents in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Article
A Plumber Who Worked Illegally Gets A Suspended Sentence After Falsely Claiming To Be Gas Safe Registered. A Plumber in Herefordshire was...
Replies
Views
P
  • Question
Boiler is SIRIUS THREE FS 70 Potterton commercial. Situation: We are small building contractors and my labourers managed to damage the radiator...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the...
Replies
Views
Hi, Later this year I am going away for a 2 week holiday and as the weather will be warm there is no need for the heating to be on and arguably...
Replies
Views
Hello, I've got a testo 327-1 that I purchased back in 2019 when I went self employed. The analyser hasn't been calibrated since purchase. After...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock