• Thread starter Billy Bob Bob
  • Start date
  • Replies 44
  • Views 304
  • makes

Discuss who makes footprints now in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who are they? Seen that urban explorer site before looking at pictures of the Denbigh asylum. Still want to go visit that place

Who makes all the blue Footprint chisels they have on display at Tool central in Bingley? I bought one myself the other day.

you know zeb a footprints the grips we all use

Attachments

• images (5) footprint.jpg
    images (5) footprint.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 52
They are still going
[DLMURL="http://www.footprint-tools.co.uk/index_home.htm"]Footprint Tools - Homepage[/DLMURL]

Last edited by a moderator:
until you've used a set of footprints you haven't used a proper old school tool. i have 6", 7" and 9" sets.

What about a drift and a swager. Not many will have either of them these days but they are still used.

i was talking about my old man LOL but you would probably explain it better without telling me to (now i cant swear) off:wink5: LOL he wont even join up here,he dont do computers LOL

A drift is used to make a std type B manipulative joint ie drift the end of the pipe out.
A swager (pronounced swadger) is used for kingley type B's and is used to form a ring on the pipe.
Lots of houses up here still have securex and PDM drifted fittings and many houses built in the 50's have kingleys.
You can come off an imperial drifted fitting if you hammer the nut on the pipe then drift it
You can still use a swager if you are short of an olive for a type A (compression)
Here are a couple of instruction sheets i dug out if anyone is interested how they work.

Attachments

• drift.JPG
    drift.JPG
    91.3 KB · Views: 24
  • swager.JPG
    swager.JPG
    76.1 KB · Views: 24
A drift is used to make a std type B manipulative joint ie drift the end of the pipe out.
A swager (pronounced swadger) is used for kingley type B's and is used to form a ring on the pipe.
Lots of houses up here still have securex and PDM drifted fittings and many houses built in the 50's have kingleys.
You can come off an imperial drifted fitting if you hammer the nut on the pipe then drift it
You can still use a swager if you are short of an olive for a type A (compression)
Here are a couple of instruction sheets i dug out if anyone is interested how they work.
come across that type of fitting a few times

To swage something out is part of my plumbing vocabulory, this is despite the fact that I've never used a swage.

For example, "what can I use to swage the hose out so I can get it on the drain off"?

So you can't buy new Footie wrenches? I have a pair but I somehow always reach over them to grab the Knippex grips.

I use the terms drift and swage interchangeably. I lost my drift years ago so now I use an artillery shell lol

ive only ever used a kingly tool to form the lip for a trap we used to weld extensions on in the days of copper trapps and bronze welded floats what was the name of the tank cutters we used to use for cutting holes in galvy tanks ?

I used to use a cone cutter for galvy tanks if i had a drill. If not it was a brace and one of those adjustable scribe cutters. Can't remember their right name. Used the scribe one on asbestos tanks.
I had another tank cutter for plastic and fibreglass tanks that was like a punch. You drilled a 1/4" hole and screwed the 2 parts on each side and tightened it with the bar and it punched a hole through. Can't remember whatr that was called either but i lost it or somebody nicked it so i was back to melting holes with a bit copper :lol:

Looks like a lot of work Tam,were these fittings standard practice before the advent of compression? how do you rate these against the newer fittings.

I've still got a swage tool in the bottom of my soldering bag and I'm probably younger than a lot of you. I think I've used it once or twice just for the sake of using it, it's a nightmare getting it back out sometimes. Can't actually remember how it came into my possession though!? But it it was brand new at the time. I'll dig it out and take a picture.

Just realised not the same as tamz has shown in the pictures though, you hammer it in and it forms a socket. Always known it as a swage but maybe it is something else?

Looks like a lot of work Tam,were these fittings standard practice before the advent of compression? how do you rate these against the newer fittings.
You can do them very quickly. Only takes a few seconds. The joints are stronger than a compression ring as it cant pull off. The old PDM fittings were the best of the drifted ones. I'll have a look later to see if i have any lying in the scrap pile.
Type B manipulative joints are still supposed to be used on any pipework underground.

Those adjustable scribe cutters were bloody dangerous and only a wee grub screw held the arm in place on mine. When used in a electric drill, they spun like a possessed propeller.

Still got my bobbins and mandrels and all the old sheetlead and copper working tools. Better staying in the toolbox, no way do I want to run about a roof on a cold Scottish Winters morning any more.

Tamz,

Still used in the refrigeration industry, also recommended by OFTEC for oil lines.

Had a van broken into 15 years ago had footprints nicked. Not missed them

F shifter
Ok just a shifter to me
And I hate the look of pump kind of things I don't own ant pump pliers

I've got two sets of footprints, never use em. Crescent pump pliers every time. We used the swage things at tech. My old man had one of those cutters your on about, lethal. Anyone remember the gp saws plumbers used?

The footprints are the only thing I use on plastic nuts as they don't mark them.
I see the manipulative B fittings on steam generators in dry cleaners. They're a good design. They'd be useful on outside taps to some extent in cold weather when pipes pop out the compression.

The swaged joint was outlawed but I think they're allowed again. Strange, as the joint is apparently stronger than the copper itself, or so I'm led to believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to who makes footprints now in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
  • Article
A Plumber Who Worked Illegally Gets A Suspended Sentence After Falsely Claiming To Be Gas Safe Registered. A Plumber in Herefordshire was...
Replies
Views
Did anyone watch Britain's Got Talent last night? There was a Plumber on from Stockport called Darren who bottled it last year but did his...
Replies
Views
We have 2 brand new cordless, battery powered press tools in stock, and flying off the shelves. Our TekTools TZ1930 & TZ1550 are packed with...
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about...
Replies
Views
Back