Currently reading:
Which boiler to you recommend?

Discuss Which boiler to you recommend? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have bought a flat which requires a new boiler fitted. It had one, but seemingly the last owner removed the last system (the flat was a repossesion). All that remains in the house is the copper piping and one radiator! I do intend to rent out the property and although I am looking for something economical I'm not looking for a boiler that only lasts its warranty! I have read reviews on the Monza 28kw condensing boiler from B & Q that the makers, Heatline, have now been taken over by Valliant and these boilers have premium parts installed in them. Also I'm not sure at this point which necessary extras need to be bought with the boiler!! I have also heard that the Ideal Logic is good. Can I just ask for anyone's opinion on these boilers or if you would recommend something else. The flat has 3 bedrooms and the system would need to run around 7 radiators. There is an electric shower installed so it would not need to power that, although it does have a bath.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I have bought a flat which requires a new boiler fitted. It had one, but seemingly the last owner removed the last system (the flat was a repossesion). All that remains in the house is the copper piping and one radiator! I do intend to rent out the property and although I am looking for something economical I'm not looking for a boiler that only lasts its warranty! I have read reviews on the Monza 28kw condensing boiler from B & Q that the makers, Heatline, have now been taken over by Valliant and these boilers have premium parts installed in them. Also I'm not sure at this point which necessary extras need to be bought with the boiler!! I have also heard that the Ideal Logic is good. Can I just ask for anyone's opinion on these boilers or if you would recommend something else. The flat has 3 bedrooms and the system would need to run around 7 radiators. There is an electric shower installed so it would not need to power that, although it does have a bath.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.[/QUOTE

All combi's will breakdown eventuly,fit a magna clean or similar so the manufactuers wont try and weasel out of their warranty.

personaly out of all the newer boilers glowworm are the best, heatline are crap in my experience (mostly due to sludged systems) although i do like working on them. haven't heared of them getting taken over by vailant, vailant are also good boilers, i cant say i have seen a monza boiler so cant realy advise but i would stick with a glowworm, worcester or vailant, out of the 3 i prefer glowworms

I'm fitting ideal logic 30+ at the moment, cheap enough and with a 5 year warranty! I realise people have had problems with the isar but I've had none with these!
As said fit a tf1 on the system to prolong life and regards to other things to sort your system out you will need a room stat and also trv's are best practice!
Oh and some more radiators!! ;)

Each guy has their own preference but I think we would all agree that heatline are carp boilers. It may be a cheap initial outlay but the performance and expense of parts when they breakdown (and they will) will far outweigh any savings made. Go for a reliable make, personally I fit Vaillants but Worcester, Baxi, Main and Glow worm are all decent brands. Most boiler manufacturers give a 5 year warranty nowadays and a Magnetic filter (either Magnaclean or TF1) is almost certainly a good investment.

And of course your installer will have to zone your new system to comply with building regs

I did phone Heatline today and they have definately been taken over by the Valliant Group. I have also read that the Monza boilers (B & Q do them) have Valliant components within them so that's why I had been thinking they could be a good investment. Thanks for all your replies though, very much appreciated, it's definately given us some food for thought! In my opinion, there are far too many too choose from especially when you are not in the know!!!!

Having fitted Ideal Isars for my work I have not been a fan of Ideal boilers but the new logics are quite a nice piece of kit and the Logic + combis come with a 5 year warranty. I actually prefer them to the entry level Worcesters now and the flueing requirements on Ideal are less stringent than Worcester.

And of course your installer will have to zone your new system to comply with building regs
But the OP is not replacing the complete system, only some of the components, i.e boiler and a few rads. There is therefore no need to zone the installation.

But the OP is not replacing the complete system, only some of the components, i.e boiler and a few rads. There is therefore no need to zone the installation.

I wasn't sure what that meant to be honest (zoning) but obviously my heating guy would hopefully keep me right on that. That is correct "doitmyself" I am only replacing some of the components - all the pipework is there under the floor leading up to all the radiators.
I noticed from the replies that they all give powerflushing, magnaclean, etc as an essential. Does this depend on what part of the UK you live in - i.e. your water supply (hard, soft, etc). I live in Central Scotland.

Its good practice to ensure that your system is clean. Corrosion occurs in any heating system regardless of where you are in the country. The hard/soft water case is for limescale which can be another headache but as your in Central Scotland you shouldn't have this problem as the water is soft.

Thanks for that CES. I have never given our heating system at home a good clean through and to be honest we have had a few problems with it (Vokera Mynute 28SE) over the years. We've had it for around 10 years and to date have replaced a few components on it - the heatexchanger usually springs a leak at some point! A new APS, motorised valve, a rubber diaphram and usually is taken to bits once a year to clean the fan!! When it has been serviced it's never been recomended to have a cleaner put through it. Is it something you would recommend? This isn't a combi boiler. I wouldn't have another Vokera!!

I would recommend putting a system cleanser through your system if it hasn't had any treatment that you know of. It can be added to the header tank or if its a sealed system into one of the radiators, circulated for a week and drained down. Then refill and put a system inhibitor into the system the same way as the cleaner was introduced. Your heating installer/service engineer should be doing this as a matter of course, I would certainly ask him about it.

I have fit lots of branded boilers over the last few years, but have had the least problems with the Main eco 25 and 30.....but they have slipped recently....none connected actuator, stuck flow switch, leaking auto air release.....take your choice, cost cutting is having an effect on all manufacturers IMHO....

Only if the flat is on more than one level ie upstairs and downstairs. If its all on one level zoning is not required!

Main for value, fitted 50+ of the eco's and not one broken down yet. Will loo at the new ideal logic+ as 5 year guarantee sounds good, heard good feedback and I seen one installed by warmfront which looked nice.

However, I regulary get sent new parts complimentary from Main. I have all the major components of the band b's and a's in stock so hard to stop doing them when Main look after us so well. Speak to your Main rep and they will sort you out!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Which boiler to you recommend? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock