Search the forum,

Discuss Water pressure new shower in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello all

I have a pressure problem in my shower.

I am on the 3rd floor.

I have put a 25m 15mm plastic pipe through the roof space to nearly the other side of the building to my new shower.

The pressure of the water in the toilet I have tapped off the cold water is OK (ish). The building does not have working hot water.

The pipe comes down from the ceiling, the cold splits to the cold input to my mixer shower then the other side goes to a tesy bilight 2kw 100l electric heater. I have installed the safety valve on the boiler as the instructions dictated.

The hot output of the heater then goes to the mixer shower.

The problem is the water pressure is poor and it either dribbles a bit while it gets going then sometimes when it gets going it sort of oscillates higher then lower pressure.

At the time of day its used there is no one else in the building using the water.

I have bought a pump but not installed it yet.

Should I put the pump on the main cold-water feed coming down from the ceiling, on just the cold going to the shower, or on just the hot output from the boiler? Or to the input of the boiler?

Do I need any one-way valves? If so where do I put them?

I could reduce the setpoint of the boiler much lower and just use hot water for the shower if it was better to do so.

My background is in electronics and optics and not plumbing so I'd like a little be of help from someone that knows what they are doing!

Many thanks in advance

What's the supply pressure to your building? At say 15 litre/min my back of the envelope calculation, which you'll want to check, says you are going to get a dynamic pressure drop of between 0.5 and 1 bar along your 25m pipe. You'll lose another ca 1 bar due to the three-storey rise.

Broadly speaking, it is better to 'push' water along a pipe with a pump at the supply end than to try to 'suck' it along from the delivery end.

You really need to make some static and dynamic pressure measurements as your starting point. Remove the guesswork.

Reply to Water pressure new shower in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
I have a plumber coming tomorrow to change a cartridge on a badly dripping tap on my bathroom mixer unit. There is no separate isolating valve for this tap so I'll have to close the stopcock. I tried closing it today but it won't go absolutely 100% closed and there is still a very slight flow...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock