Search the forum,

Discuss Water flow won't stop after long flush in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

My toilet flushes ok when the long flush button is pressed - but water continues to flow into the toilet bowl. No problems with the short flush. I have a Siamp Optima 50, the overflow funnel doesn’t seem to drop back down on the long flush. The short flush does all purposes but family members can’t seem to stop pressing the long flush button (I’ve never been able to figure out how to move the short flush cursor).

The base sealing washer doesn’t seem to be perished. Should I replace the whole valve? I only put this one in 2 or 3 years ago, so if it needs replacing is there a better valve that would be compatible?

This is the seal. Would it be worth attaching a weight of some sort to help the funnel go back down?
IMG_20230825_131857.jpg

Quite often there is limescale attached to the moving parts and this can make them stick as you describe. If this is the case, remove mechanism from cistern and soak in descaler then clean thoroughly- don’t use abrasive as this will scratch the plastic and then scale will build up quicker.

Quite often there is limescale attached to the moving parts and this can make them stick as you describe. If this is the case, remove mechanism from cistern and soak in descaler then clean thoroughly- don’t use abrasive as this will scratch the plastic and then scale will build up quicker.
Thanks, will try that. Would filling the cistern half and half vinegar and water overnight do the job?

I doubt it.
Twist the mechanism out and sit it in a bowl of descaler eg as sold for kettles etc,
When it’s all stopped fizzing use a bottle brush or similar to clean it all up.
Rinse it very well and then put it back in cistern.
So I descaled the mechanism overnight and replaced it, but didn't make a difference.
I also tried attaching a small allen key to weigh it down, but the clip cable case snapped off the button when I tried pressing it.
Family members had pulled the cable (which is far too long) out of the case a few times and it's not attaching as securely as it should now. I may need to just get a new mechanism. I'd only had this one a couple of years, and looking at the questions on Amazon for the Siamp Optima 50 this seems to be a fairly common problem with them. Are there better options than Siamp??

Plenty, fluidmaster being 1. An alternative could be the Siamp optima 49, thus negating the need for a cable.

So I could lock a flushmaster or optima 49 straight into the existing strainer? Are there any size issues to check? The cable-free option sounds appealing (the siamp brand less so) if it has dual-flush too.

BTW, the overflow funnel returns just fine when we manually pull it all the way up to flush, so I’m guessing the fault is in the cable mechanism/case.
Plenty, fluidmaster being 1. An alternative could be the Siamp optima 49, thus negating the need for a cable.
So I could lock one of these straight into the existing strainer? Are there any size issues to check? The wire-free option sounds appealing (the siamp brand less so), but would still want dual-flush.

BTW, the overflow funnel returns just fine when we manually pull it all the way up to flush, so I’m guessing the fault is in the cable mechanism/case?

If it’s a Bowden cable it may have kinked somewhere, usually at an end. Or the pivot/lift mechanism may have come out of one side.
I have had success straightening them with pliers in the past.
The other thing to try is lubricating between the cable and the sheath.

A fluidmaster would need the whole thing swapping including the bayonet cradle, whereas the Siamp should marry up no problem and yes dual flush.
I installed a Siamp 49, quick and easy.

I had two Siamp 50s - the one I'd bought in April 2021 and the one that it replaced (which I'd held on to) - and it occurred to me to attach the cable from the older one (which had only failed because the clip on the mechanism broke) to the mechanism of the 2021 one (which failed due to cable), and it also worked. Should've thought of it before buying the 49!

Flush working fine now anyway - thanks everyone for your help.

Reply to Water flow won't stop after long flush in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock