Search the forum,

Discuss Warm air heaters J&S in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Knappers

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
It seems I spend a lot of my time telling customers that their ventilation is undersized or their flue is slightly too close to a window or the access to their boiler is not acceptable etc...
Then eventually I go to service or repair a Johnson & Starley warm air heater and my idea of what's safe has to shift to closer to 'if it hasn't caught on fire it's probably ok'

Can anyone please explain to me why (years ago) when I first spoke to their technical team about not getting acceptable flue readings the fella quite confidently said "oh no you wont!" as if that was ok, and why I have to cut holes all over someone's walls to fit inspection hatches but on these s#*t asbestos concrete flues attached to vibrating appliances It's perfectly ok to leave it boxed in?

They're invariably owned by old widows who were sold a house by Margret Thatcher that they couldn't afford to keep!
They blow-back on ignition, smell, dry the air to an uncomfortable level and just generally suck!

So does anyone else still have this ticket and if (like me) your stupid enough to try and keep them running how do you approach the situation.
I'm thinking of adopting a policy of - I'll do my best and always issue AR notice regardless?

What's the best way to settle my consience at the end of the day, should I leave them to freeze or turn my idea of acceptable back 20 years?

Haha, it's like a bad bond movie!
You guys are so supportive, now I've still got to repair this warm air heater but with a hangover:D

Reply to Warm air heaters J&S in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock