Discuss Ventilation in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sarie I know where Dalkeith is, I used to be gas manager for Carillion up here and we had a depot in Mayfield, I think £100 is quite expensive for a vent as part of a bigger contract as they are on site, if you need to pay then shop around

Instead of having ventilation put in the living room why not use the existing vent and install vent from kitchen to living room. This will mean that the air will have time to warm up in the kitchen before it passes into the living room and I'm sure you would rather have a cooler kitchen than living room.

Thanks guys :) I'm going to contact SERS again and discuss it with them and find out if I'll need to pay them for the work. If I will need to then I think I will shop around if you feel that's expensive as I've no idea what these things are supposed to cost but I hate being ripped off. I have quite a few other jobs that need doing on the house so any money saved is good right now :)

Millsy, that's not a bad idea actually... I hadn't really thought about that. The vent in the kitchen could be enlarged and upgraded to regulation standard and they could block up the one at the bottom (not sure why there's two unless one wasn't big enough on its own?). I leave the kitchen door open 99% of the time anyway so the vent internally would really be just to get it to standard so it makes no difference to me having that put in whereas having a vent in the lounge would move the draught into a room I spend a lot of time in! I'll put all of this to SERS and see what they say :)

Thanks again for all the help and advice :)

Best option is to put the vent in the same room as the appliance, if you route it from elsewhere there's a chance it will be compromised, and if it goes through 2 or more walls they needs to be 50% bigger then the outside one

Best option is to put the vent in the same room as the appliance, if you route it from elsewhere there's a chance it will be compromised, and if it goes through 2 or more walls they needs to be 50% bigger then the outside one

It'll only need to go through the one wall but I'll have a chat with the chap doing it as to be fair he was fairly adamant he wanted to put it as near the boiler as possible so he may not be open to venting through the kitchen anyway. I guess that's often only done when there's no other option but in my case as there is I think he'll probably refuse to do the through vent anyway. The old outset fires are fairly risky too I suppose so maybe safer to just get it in the lounge.
Appreciate all the advice! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Ventilation in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have a 40 year old floor standing Glow Worm 45-60 boiler (open vent )which is in a cupboard in the centre of the house. Its an old workhouse...
Replies
Views
The soil pipe from my bathroom passes through the outside wall and into the roofspace above the adjacent single storey kitchen before dropping...
Replies
Views
We moved into a house with a gas Aga (I think converted from oil). The extraction pipe is fitted against and runs through an external wall, then...
Replies
Views
Hello - I have installed a garden sump-pump. In the photo you can see that I’ve replaced the Cloakroom-sink bend that previously went to the...
Replies
Views
I have a Remeha Tzerra M 24c Plus boiler. It is sitting nice and tight, next to the central ventilation unit/pipeline of the apartment block. That...
Replies
Views
Back