Search the forum,

Discuss Using existing cylinder for woodburner with backboiler & underfloor heating in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Lorenzo

Hi all,

I'm looking to improve the heating system in our house and would like to use a woodburner with backboiler and underfloor heating (wet). Is it possible to utilise a standard open vented hot water cylinder with electric immersion to firstly store the hot water from the backboiler and secondly distribute it to the underfloor heating at the correct temperature?

As far as I understand the alternative is an expensive heat accumulator / combination tank which can be used with multiple heat sources... They look a little pricey so would be keen to use our existing tank if possible.

We are hoping to use Thermotube underfloor heating as the build up is thin.

We would look to install the system with a qualified heating professional, we are just keen to understand what is possible.

Many thanks,

Lawrence

The coil in the cylinder will need to be suitable for gravity circulation which your existing may not be depending on what set up you have now?

What make up you going for on ufh? The pipe is irrelevant to a degree it's all about insulation

I would be looking at a h2 panel to get it sorted properly. Post your location there will probably be somebody on here local to you with the relative experience.

Oh and welcome to the forums :)

I doubt very much that your cylinder will be suitable both in size and make up.

yes as Howie says , have a re-think.
insulation is absolutely key in to any UFH system.
Try your best to do away with any Immersion heaters.
Ok as back up, but turn one on, and watch your meter go man !!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Using existing cylinder for woodburner with backboiler & underfloor heating in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock